• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Long Sunday Drive

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
My bride and I took Ol' Blue for a long ride yesterday. We left about 10:30am and finally got back home around 8:00pm. We drove west from Vermillion, SD parallel to the Missouri River. We stopped for a quick lunch at Culver's in Yankton, then continued west, again parallel to the Missouri. We had to make a few detours due to closed roads - bridges washed out, culverts washed out, asphalt broken on roads - and eventually found a bridge to cross over the Missouri River and into Nebraska. I thought sunny SD roads were bad - Nebraska was even worse. All the spring floods and rain have created havoc for our southern neighbors. We managed to find roads that brought us back just south of Yankton and crossed back over into South Dakota. We made a quick refreshment stop in Yankton near the Lewis & Clark Recreation Area and then continued on towards home.
It was a revealing day - I knew there was quite a lot of damage in Nebraska, especially around Niobrara and the Niobrara River - it was worse than I thought. Uff da --looking at many years and many millions of $$$ before everything is repaired/replaced.

Ol' Blue with the 2.8 V6 was just super to drive.....as usual.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I miss driving in the Midwest for enjoyment. You can take your time and see things, pull over to the side of the road. Enjoy a little slow time. Here in California, you can find places to drive, but they all start and finish with a long drive on a busy 3-4 lane freeway. I frequently visit in Northern Iowa and we take my brothers MGB out in the farmlands and woods. Nice driving.
Oh by the way, compared to our cars, the interior of and MGB is Tinyyyyyy.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good to hear from you Paul. Out touring (great news) in "Ole Blue, does that mean the Tiger got sold?. Our Montana trip was cancelled due to low signup. I'm going to miss the trip, I just love driving in the Dakota, Montana Wyoming area. Some people think it is boring, not I. I am almost overwhelmed by it. So now you know why you thought I was "different".

Hope to see you in LaCrosse.

Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Good to hear from you Paul. Out touring (great news) in "Ole Blue, does that mean the Tiger got sold?. Our Montana trip was cancelled due to low signup. I'm going to miss the trip, I just love driving in the Dakota, Montana Wyoming area. Some people think it is boring, not I. I am almost overwhelmed by it. So now you know why you thought I was "different".

Hope to see you in LaCrosse.

Bill
Hi Bill. Looks like you are feeling better. The Primer hot rod V6 is sold. I will consider selling the Tiger but it will take 50k. Ol' Blue will be with me for a while yet..a long while, I hope. Considering La Crosse, but the TEAE events are very spendy. I will have to see if the discretionary funds will allow attendance. I will be at Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI in two weeks. Brad Baab will be racing and I will give whatever help/support he needs. I hope our paths cross again soon. Pete

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, on the cost TE/AE events being spendy. I think I saved money last August by being in the Trauma Center instead of Long Island. Maybe we should have added a couple of hundred dollars to the cost of the Invasions. Might of boosted attendance, I don't see how it could have hurt. Wish I'd known about the Road America, we just committed to attend the BASH the same time frame.

Yes, I'm feeling good. I think I've recovered about all I'm going to. Some cognitive loss and some balance issues remain, but not too bad. I lost any computer chops I ever had. Things like posting photos are gone.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Enjoyed reading the post on "THE LONG SUNDAY DRIVE". Interesting reading. Now Paul, you didn't tell us the "Primer Hot Rod V6" was gone?

Can you divulge the new owner?

Mr Bill, can you explain
I lost any computer chops I ever had. Things like posting photos are gone.

My tiny brain can't "catch" what you mean?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I mean I have lost the ability to remember how to operate the computer. The last time I tried to load photos from the camera into the computer, when I hooked the chip up to the computer, the computer screen did not change. Nothing appeared on screen to indicate additional steps that I could take. When that happens, I am at a loss as to what to do. Pretty much the same thing happens when I try to load a photo on this site. I cannot locate the photo in my computer and if I do happen to come across it, can do nothing with it. There is now a hole in my brain where that function used to reside.

I'm sure part of the problem is the latest computer operating system upgrade. But I should be able to get past that. I can't. Any photos that I post are courtesy of Barb.

Maybe if I fill that hole with Bondo.
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I understand now what you mean.....Bondo may be an answer:)

You are not by yourself competely, I'm sure others our age are having some similar problems. Some may not yet realize it! That is the bad part.

Lately while driving I am begining to realize my reflexes are not what they used to be. IF I look off to one side viewing something which I think is only a second, the time flies much quicker and I can drift in a direction not intended during that "short" time frame..... Could this be "fixed" also? Only way I think I can "fix" it is to pay much more attention to the road and less to other things.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, my computer problems were emerging prior to the meningitis/fall/stroke. The computer was becoming difficult, but I could still manage. The brain injury finished off whatever was left. I think I could learn to manage photos, but it would have to be done on a daily basis or I'd forget. I would not really understand what I was doing, so if I forgot a step there would be no figuring out what to do. As I would probably do photos every week or so, there's no way.

I have the same problem (it started about 5-10 years ago) when looking away from the road. A compounding factor is the slowness of the eye to refocus and brain to re-engage. As a result, I do not look around much as I drive. That is a real pisser, as that means I do not see much except road while driving. Barb is starting to complain about the same problem.
But it beats staying home.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, MAybe we are a head in that we recognize the slow response time. Sure hard not to take that "look" when the perifual vision triggers something off somewhere!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, MAybe we are a head in that we recognize the slow response time. Sure hard not to take that "look" when the perifual vision triggers something off somewhere!
Yeah, that is the part that requires self discipline. Seems to be a rare commodity.

Bill