• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lockheed brake servo filter

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I accidentally knocked off the filter cover and filter on my Lockheed brake servo/booster while changing my spark plugs today. Fortunately, my wife just found them undamaged on our driveway. The filter is pretty dirty and I figured I should either clean it or replace it. Cleaning is fine, if I can figure out what cleaner to use. It appears to just be a hard foam, so soap and water might do the trick, although it is greasy engine-related dirt so something stronger might be needed. Has anyone ever cleaned one of these? For reference, here is a photo of the booster with the cover circled in red:

182-290_1.jpg

I'm happy to buy one if cleaning isn't a good option, but I can't find one anywhere online. I've found the whole breather assembly for $50, which seems like a lot to pay for just the filter. Has anyone ever seen one for sale?

Thanks,
Jim

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dishwashing soap, Dawn almost seems to be chemically designed to cleanup engine oil. No need for "something stronger". Just don't dilute it like you were scrubbing kitchen ware.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I tried Dawn after posting the question but just got so-so results. I doubt it makes any difference, but I should probably replace it, if there was such a thing as a replacement.