• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lockheed 5" servo

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I just finished installing a new Lockheed 5" servo in my '66 Tiger. It works well and installation was not difficult. More information to follow. Pete

Attachments

• Lockheed servo 4.jpg
    Lockheed servo 4.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Lockheed servo 3.jpg
    Lockheed servo 3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Lockheed servo 5.jpg
    Lockheed servo 5.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 196

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Awaiting more info....;)

Just kidding of course. But, I have seen a very small booster on a Tiger back last year during a British Car Show in Norcross, Ga. Thought my camera took a good PIC but when I got home it was blurry from the bright sunshine.

It seemed to be an ideal size.

DanR

P.S. I think it was a Red Tiger. And there are no doubt a-lot-a-red-ones

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
updated info regarding the new Lockheed brake servo: See the attached document:

When I received the Spring sale catalog from Victoria British I noticed they had a Lockheed 5†booster kit for sale for $94.95. The kit includes the servo, new input and output brake lines, non-return valve, mounting brackets and various other items. Given the reality of costs to rebuild or repair Girling servos is much greater than $100 – assuming you can locate a unit to rebuild – I decided to purchase the Lockheed unit and install it in my Tiger.
I wanted to locate the unit in the same area as was used by the original Girling unit. There was really only one way to position the servo that would permit clearance between it and the bonnet and that was to use a position similar to the original.

With location determined I needed to find a suitable way to mount it in position. It occurred to me that I could make use of the inner fender brace to hold the servo if I could find a suitable bracket. A trip to the Carquest Auto Parts store soon solved that issue. I bought two insulated cable clamps that open to about 1.25â€.

The new servo unit has two mounting studs on the front of it. By using the fender brace as a mounting point I was able to securely fasten the front of the servo using the two servo studs and two cable clamps.

Also included in the kit was a bracket that fits around the “long†end of the servo. I shortened the bracket, bent and formed it to fit and drilled a 5/16†hole in it. Using one of the existing Tiger bracket mounts I was able to bolt the reconfigured bracket to the car. With the two clamps on the front of the servo and the bracket on the rear the servo is secure.
The kit included a new vacuum hose and also a non-return valve. I installed a new vacuum hose connector on the rear of the carburetor. I cut the new vacuum hose and installed the non-return valve in-line between the carburetor and the servo. I attached the vacuum hose to the servo, installed new hose clamps and had a leak free vacuum connection between the carburetor and the servo. With everything secure, clamped and in place I started the engine, put the car in gear and tested the brakes. Everything works. For under $100 I now have power brakes on my ’66 Mark 1A Tiger.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 157
  • servo resized 1.jpg
    servo resized 1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 170
  • servo resized.jpg
    servo resized.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 158
  • servo resized 2.jpg
    servo resized 2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 160

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Good info

That's good to know. I've been planning to run without a booster because of the prices, but I really wanted to have something. I think I'll give this a shot as well.

Thanks for the write up!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just make sure you ask for the Lockheed Brake Servo and not a kit!!!!

Specify a Brake Servo (Lockheed). Repeat it several times... I did and still got a Kit.

Returned the "kit" and am still awaiting a refund .... BEFORE I ORDER AGAIN, With much emphasis on the LOCKHEED BRAKE SERVO.

DanR

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Curious, were you running without one before the install? If so, were you using an early Series master cylinder (or equivalent)? And further 'if so', did you change back to original size or stay with the status quo?

Inquiring minds want to know...
(25-30 year throwback phrase. :) )

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken, I kinda like the throw back:)

I did change over to the early brake cylinder and removed the booster on my SV. Primarily because of the recommendation from various Forum guys.

While the brakes work. I'm just not happy as is.

Paul A made the Booster availability known, so I thought
I'd get me one.

By the way the p/n is 7-539 (Lockheed).

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Booster

We've never used a booster two Tiger's two V8 Alpines the cars never had decent brakes Probably why we built the kits back in the stone age,
just mhop.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have used the early Alpine masters on my Tiger and Alpine and better brakes with the new master than when I had servos working! :cool: without the servo you have room for AC compressor!

65beam

Donation Time
servo

The only cars that I have used the booster on have been my 69 GT's. They use a Lockheed booster and only work on the front brakes. Stops real good. All of the other cars use the 700 master. I stopped at the fab shop this afternoon about welding up the clayton dewandre booster and making it non operational. It has a new kit installed but new kits are hard to find so the best bet is to eliminate a future problem before it happens.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hillman, current price is in that range.... But more important is the Part number 7-539 (Lockheed).

When I first ordered I got a truly surprise (a kit at $196.) It was not a Servo.

Just to repeat myself, after making my mistake, Part Number 7-539....

DanR

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I installed the 5" and it handled the significant braking requirements at Road America very nicely. The 7" Lockheed might be a bit more challenging to install in the stock location. P

sunbeamv6

Donation Time
Ken, I kinda like the throw back:)

I did change over to the early brake cylinder and removed the booster on my SV. Primarily because of the recommendation from various Forum guys.

While the brakes work. I'm just not happy as is.

Paul A made the Booster availability known, so I thought
I'd get me one.

By the way the p/n is 7-539 (Lockheed).
Hillman, current price is in that range.... But more important is the Part number 7-539 (Lockheed).

When I first ordered I got a truly surprise (a kit at $196.) It was not a Servo.

Just to repeat myself, after making my mistake, Part Number 7-539....

DanR

Dan- Did you keep the early master cylinder in when you installed the new servo or did you go back to the series V master?

whiskytangofoxtrot

Silver Level Sponsor
For my tiger I have a dual master and just got ahold of a dual circuit booster from England. Right now I have been concentrating on the alpine, but I will post how that thing works on the tiger. That 94 buck deal from VB sounds like a great deal

Snakeoil II

Donation Time
Hello All,
Being new to this site and Sunbeams I have a lot to learn. I just purchased a nice Series V Alpine and would like to add that Lockheed Brake Booster/Servo. I have the original Girling but it needs a rebuild. What are the prices for a new Lockheed verses a rebuild on the Girling. Don't care about original just want great brakes. Thanks for any input on this.
Snakeoil11IMGP3885.JPG

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
White Post will rebuild/restore your Girling, including sleeving the bores for under $500. You'll get a lifetime guarantee. If you have any problem, they will fix it for no cost. They did mine in 2009, and it looked brand new. Not a bit of trouble with it since.

Snakeoil II

Donation Time
White Post will rebuild/restore your Girling, including sleeving the bores for under $500. You'll get a lifetime guarantee. If you have any problem, they will fix it for no cost. They did mine in 2009, and it looked brand new. Not a bit of trouble with it since.
Thanks Pete, I was ordering parts from Sunbeam Specialties and decided to go with a new Lockheed Unit.