• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Little question about the Soft covet Top Frame.

Sunbeam-Chile

Donation Time
Hi to All...
I have a Series II, and wonder what is the original look of the Softop cover "Top Frame"... I mean the skeleton thats support the softop...
It´s chromed?... it´s painted black or other colour?
Really don`t know as my car come with a not original top frame... and now I found one, but need a lot of work...
Thanks,
Pablo.

Sunbeam-Chile

Donation Time
Thanks for the answer... I believe it´s a simple thing to answer for a person how have a complete or original Alpine... maybe to basic question... but For a Person in the other part of the World, where there almost none Alpine it's important... So, thanks for your kind asnwer... :)

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hello, Pablo

Greetings from Florida, Pablo. The frame on my Series V is also gray, so I guess they all were. Good luck with your project. My restoration came to a halt six or seven years ago, but I'm back on it now. Hoping to start the engine in a couple weeks. It will be nice to hear her purr again.

65beam

Donation Time
soft top

i have an nos, unused set of the rails and they are grey. i also have an original top frame that was on my series 1 that was crashed in the early 70's. it also is grey.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The soft top frames from SI-V were all the machienery grey colour. This was to match the internal finish of the factory soft tops which were light grey on the inside.

I'm sure many people have painted them black later on to match the colour of the replacement soft tops. If you ever travel in a car with a factory soft top its a lot nicer on the inside as they are much brighter and lighter where as the tops with black interiors especially with black trim/carpets can be quite dark and dull.

agmason

Donation Time
"If you ever travel in a car with a factory soft top its a lot nicer on the inside as they are much brighter and lighter where as the tops with black interiors especially with black trim/carpets can be quite dark and dull.'

You bring up an interesting point. I recently drove a 2010, black on black , Camaro and it seemed as if I was sitting in a cave because it was so dark inside of the car. My daily driver is a G37, black on black, but it is much brighter in the interior. The main difference is my G37 has a light grey headliner versus the Camaro black headliner. The fact that the windows on the Camaro are narrower than the G37 doesn't help but the light color headliner does make a large difference.