• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Liquid Wrench vs PB Blaster

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I see many folks mention PB Blaster on the forum. You might find these tests of penetrating oils by "Project Farm" interesting.

Mike

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Time and ATF I suspect that you could use any solvent like thinner. I like the ATF and acetone primarily because it's cheap it does work a little havoc on the rubber in a syringe or squeeze bottle more often than not the acetone will evaporate away if it's left to its own devices so time and applications is what does the work.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've decided that penetrating oils are best used as a lubricant, especially when removing rusty nuts. I did have one very interesting experience. The hinges on the passenger door of the Alpine had a terrible squeak. Over the years I'd used oil, PB Blaster, Gibbs, WD 40. None worked for more than a few days. Then one day I decided to try Liquid Wrench, which had been around the garage since before we bought the Alpine. Never used it much for anything, purchased years ago purely on a whim. Would you believe I sprayed the hinge, it squeaked when I shut the door, but did not when I reopened it and never squeaked again. So I can't say how well Liquid Wrench performs as a rust busting penetrating oil, but it sure is a good penetrating lubricant.

I now use it in my air tools.

Bill