• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Light in the Trunk

Mark B

Donation Time
Hello all-

I was looking through some photos of various SIVs on this site and some others, and have found a couple of pictures with what appears to be a courtesy light in the trunk on the drivers side up in the corner. Its mounted on the panel that covers the gas tank and looks very similar to the light that I think may have been an option on some GTs and was mounted up by the rear view mirror. Is this an option anyone has seen before or just an owner add on?

Thanks

Mark B

Rootes 66

Donation Time
The lamp I think you are referring to, on Johns Series IV is just an owner add on. My understanding is the original accessory option was the Lucas L519 always very rear.
Pete

Mark B

Donation Time
Thanks! I did see it on John's, but also on another, which really made me wonder.

Mark B

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Another trunk light that is handy, if you don't mind non-factory, is the old GM round trunk light that had a mercury switch in side to turn on and off as the lid is opened.

The blue SCCA rally car I have has this light mounted cleanly on the trunk lid bracing. I had never seen type of light before owning this car.

What I like about it is there is a 10-15 foot coil of wire hidden behind the light. I haven't tried it but the light detaches and the power line unwinds from the reel to allow you to take to almost any point on the car. When your done it winds back up.

I suspect it would be a handy feature if you were rallying.

Steve

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Another trunk light that is handy, if you don't mind non-factory, is the old GM round trunk light that had a mercury switch in side to turn on and off as the lid is opened.

The blue SCCA rally car I have has this light mounted cleanly on the trunk lid bracing. I had never seen type of light before owning this car.

What I like about it is there is a 10-15 foot coil of wire hidden behind the light. I haven't tried it but the light detaches and the power line unwinds from the reel to allow you to take to almost any point on the car. When your done it winds back up.

I suspect it would be a handy feature if you were rallying.

Steve

If I remember correctly, my Moms 60something Bonnieville had a light like that in the trunk and non detachable light in the hood. The trunk light was quite useful.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Are mercury switches still available? I assume now there has to be something to substitute.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Not to hijack this thread, but what is the purpose of the screw hole that is on the "X" on the far side of the bracing (towards the front of the car)? I always assumed that it was something done by a PO, but I noticed the exact same hole on the spare lid that I am planning on stripping for my SIV.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If I remember correctly, my Moms 60something Bonnieville had a light like that in the trunk and non detachable light in the hood. The trunk light was quite useful.

Ford pickups have a similar detachable light under the hood. May not be a mercury switch, I think it's a steel ball inside that make contact when the hood is opened.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
There used to be a picture on this website of an optional mercury trunk light switch not nearly as "robust" as that GM switch. I saw one on e-bay once and have it in in a box somewhere.

65beam

Donation Time
trunk light

if you look at photo #86 on my photo bucket site, you'll notice two small lights mounted in the top right and left corners of the trunk. on the left side just below the light you can notice the rocker switch for the lights that is mounted in the side panel. we installed these back in the mid 90's when the wife and i traveled in this car. we got tired of pulling into a hotel and sometimes needing light in the trunk. they're small license plate lights from autozone.

Limey

Donation Time
There used to be a picture on this website of an optional mercury trunk light switch not nearly as "robust" as that GM switch. I saw one on e-bay once and have it in in a box somewhere.

Hi John, I tried to PM you but your PM box is full. Please email if you can, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Oliver

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Limey, Just cleared my mailbox. If there's NOT a photo of the boot light on this website somewhere, I'll find mine, take a photo, and post it.

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Trunk Lamp

I saw a Tiger at a car show yesterday that had added one of the tag lamp glass housings with chrome surround to the driver side trunk panel as a trunk lamp...Looks period and a great idea...Mike