• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

License Plate Location

63-WRAY

It seems the original light was supposed to shine down so should the plate be mounted below the bumper or on the trunk?

mikephillips

Donation Time
The original idea from Rootes was to mount it on the trunk lid, but since the cars were supplied to dealers without brackets mounted to the body they were pretty much free to put the plate where the customer or dealer wanted to.

65beam

Donation Time
license plate

the plate lights on series 4 & 5 cars up to the ones mounted on the bumper are easy to reverse . my series 4 and all of my series 5 cars except for one have the plate mounted on the valance under the bumper . i had a series 5 that had the two piece mount on the trunk and the lights on the bumper .

65beam

Donation Time
license tag

the license plate on my series 4 was mounted below the bumper when it left the dealer . it was mounted with metal screws at that time ,but has bolts now .

RootesRooter

Donation Time
How do you reverse the Ser IV-V lights without having light bulb sockets and wires sticking over the edge of the bumper?

the plate lights on series 4 & 5 cars up to the ones mounted on the bumper are easy to reverse . my series 4 and all of my series 5 cars except for one have the plate mounted on the valance under the bumper . i had a series 5 that had the two piece mount on the trunk and the lights on the bumper .

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
My Series IV, had the plate under the bumper and the lights pointed down. I wanted the plate to sit higher, so that the reflective plate would let the guy behind me know I was there. The tail lights didn't seem to be very bright, so wanted to help the situation out. I mounted the plate on the deck lid, and just turned the lights so they faced up, using the same holes in th body that they were bolted to to begin with. It was a simple operation, really.

Jose :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am quite sure Rootes intended the plates to be mounted on the trunk lid for the SI-V, thats where the fatory mounted them on their test cars, the cavity for the light and the trunk release button aim it towards the vertical face of the trunk, and when they mounted the front plate bellow the bumper they made brackets for its mounting. On the SI-IV the lamps can be turned round without much effort, on the SV's they have the twin setup with the bracket to face them at the trunk, then the really late SV's have them in the bumper. Lets be honest.. its a lot harder for a speed camerra to get them under the bumper.. not saying thats why mines there... but...

Anyway.. i think the Late setup:

df23_1.JPG

would be a pain to reverse anyway, would look bad from above.

65beam

Donation Time
license plate

rootesrooter,
it's real easy to reverse the bulbs. you pull the rubber boots out of the bracket and reverse them. the plates holding the lense go underneath pointing down. you put shrink tubing over the wires, push them thru the grommet and the entire light is hidden under the bumper . if you look you can see them but they are not noticeable .i've done it several times .

65beam

Donation Time
license plate

michael,
the lights that you show are also on series 4 cars . that is what is on mine. it is not a pain to reverse and is not ugly .the wires do not show and i do not have holes in my trunk lid .i guess if you are open minded and have common sense anything can be done in a manner that looks good .as i said before ,that is the way it was when it left the dealer . when they went to the lights in the bumper, they also designed a two piece bracket to go on the trunk lid .

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
the lights that you show are also on series 4 cars . that is what is on mine. it is not a pain to reverse and is not ugly .the wires do not show and i do not have holes in my trunk lid .i guess if you are open minded and have common sense anything can be done in a manner that looks good .as i said before ,that is the way it was when it left the dealer . when they went to the lights in the bumper, they also designed a two piece bracket to go on the trunk lid .

Not sure they are on all SIV's.. most i have seen run the singles.. but maybe they have been changed over time. Either way.. think the factory intended them to go on the trunk despite taking 5 series to give a bracket to do so :p

65beam

Donation Time
license plates

there were a lot of things done during the series 4 run that were different from time to time .my car is a very good example of this .and the light bracket is what was on it when new .my father never changed the lights .the originals are still on it .

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
I think Scott Christie has a service document telling dealers to install license plates on the boot lit. I've talke to the former dealer here in Dayton and he said Roots instructed them to put them on the boot lid, but he never liked that and put them below the bumper. I guess you might say that the "Rootes" answer is the boot lid.

It would be hard to reverse the license plate light on a late SV because the light assemblies are mounted directly to the bumper. You would have to adapt the previous light assembly to the car and point it downwards.

65beam

Donation Time
license plate

ian,
have you ever seen an original series 5 with the two piece plate bracket other than the late cars with the lights in the bumper ? the car i had with them had the brackets painted the same as the car as if they were factory installed . ???

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
When I painted my SV last year, I filled in 6-8 different license plate holes on the back of the trunk that had allowed water to leak in. I left the original lights aimed up and mounted the plate below the bumper on the valence. The top is partially blocked by the bumper but the numbers show. I mounted an LED license plate light that I bought at Autozone on the top of the plate so it shines down on the plate. The small wires go through the same grommet as the originals and is tapped into the same connection inside. It is hidden behind the bumper and does not show but the plate is lighted and visible.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

license plate

Ian, I think that memo to the Rootes dealers was possibly ment for the U.K. I asked a couple of blokes at the 06 Annual in Bath, why all of the plates were mounted on the boot. Each one said that is where they have to mount them.
I don't know it they were having fun with me or not!! I did see an Alpine with Lucas fog and spot lights mounted on the boot. They do some strange things,
but none of the roads outside the cities have lights. I mean total darkness. The number plate on the boot would add a reflective area to help being seen.
Lee