• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Leaking rear end

dmich2

Donation Time
Whilst I was doing the rear brake hose replacement from my previous post I noticed rear end fluid that seems to be omitting in a nice spray pattern, like a CSI blood pattern...:p, not really but I love those shows, anyway, the pattern makes me think the front pinion oil seal may be the culprit as the spray seems concentrated around the front of the housing where the yolk connects. I have the Tiger rear end in Sweet Pea, a Dana 44, and was wondering how involved is the replacement of this seal, and if it involves disassembly of the rear, should I just replace some other stuff, bearings, seals, etc, as I'm not sure how old the stuff is, and/or it's condition. I tried to get a nice exploded view to post so I could reference it, but couldn't find one....shucks.

Dennis

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dennis,

Changing the pinion seal on a Dana is like most other reae ends. You will need a seal puller and a seal installation tool. <it isn`t real complicated, but will take a bit of time.

Remove the drive shaft, then remove the pinion nut. You will need to lock the brakes in order to loosen it, but an assistant can step on the brakes while you di this. Once the yoke is rmoved, inspect it to see if the old seal has worn a groove in it. If it has, then take it to tje machine shop to have a repair sleeve istalled. If you have a press, you could do it at home, but it`s just simpler to have them do it.

Remove the old seal with the seal remover, and clean the housing where you are going to put the new seal. Now, with a seal installer, it is just a matter of tapping the new seal into place. Make sure that you have it facing in the right direction, or you will have a bigger leak. Now put a light coating of grease on the yoke, ans slip it in place. Tighten the nut to factory specs, with a little Loc-Tite blue, and you`re done.

Jose :)

dmich2

Donation Time
Jose. Just for clarification purposes. I finally located the torque settings for the Tiger rear end on-line and want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing. The manual lists the; Hypoid bevel pinion nut ... ... ... ... 125 lbs.ft (17•3 kg.m.) , that is what you refer to in your email as the pinion nut, correct?

Dennis

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jose. Just for clarification purposes. I finally located the torque settings for the Tiger rear end on-line and want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing. The manual lists the; Hypoid bevel pinion nut ... ... ... ... 125 lbs.ft (17•3 kg.m.) , that is what you refer to in your email as the pinion nut, correct?

Dennis
Dennis,

Yes. That is what I call the pinion nut. Be sure to put it on with Loc-Tite blue, so you don't run the risk of it loosening.

Jose