• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Leaking Intake Manifold

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I am stuck. I have installed an Ofy intake manifold on the V6 three times with 3 different gaskets. (paper, Fel-Pro and Mahler) I have a leak along the rear and have followed the install instructions regarading the sealer. Upon removing the assembly, the leaks are around the rearmost water jackets. Any ideas? I am to the point where I am going to install the stock manifold and see if it seals properly, but I'd really like to use the Ofy with a 4 barrel Holley. This has been very frustrating.

Thanks,

W2

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I remember Dan R. found there was a bolt that was shorter that had to be in the right hole. Maybe he will respond or you can find it in a search?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Warren, There are a couple possibilities that I have encountered.

First is the correct metric bolts that fasten the base of the manifold to the engine block. I am referring to four that look to be the same. However, three are longer. The shorter one (about a 1/4" shorter).

I'll post a few PIC's of the location that the four bolts need to be positioned for correct installation.

1st PIC is of the four bolts I am referring to!

2nd PIC shows the three longer bolt positions

3rd PIC is the fourth bolt that is a bit shorter. It goes in the hole that has a slight taller bulge in the valley. Notice too that it is to the left rear in the picture. Look closely ad you can see the distributor hole in the rear of the engine block.

I discovered this quite by accident, just perhaps what one of my Old Sergeants told me a long, long time ago "Attention to detail, there Airman or I'll kick your butt"....

Paying attention to the bolts I purchased from OFY, caused to to wonder why out of the three packages of four bolts each two of the packages had bolts the same size and one had the correct sizes (3 long and 1 short).... At first I did not think much of it until I put the bolts into the ofy base and saw that one actually stuck up a bit taller tan two of the others and one almost dropped down even with the intake. What is going on here? Well after close examination, I discovered what could lead to a real problem for our V6's....

THE OTHER possible problem could be the angle differences between the heads and the intake. In other words it the block has been milled the ofy intake may be off slightly. Refer to Sven Pruitt's Book on the V6 60 degree Engines if you have one.... If not I can give you some data to check your engine..... E-mail if you need.

Hope this helps! Also hope I am clear enough in my words you can gain something. If not I am a phone call away:)

Hope to see you in Columbia!

Attachments

• 20171231_171841.jpg
    20171231_171841.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20171231_172051.jpg
    20171231_172051.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20171231_172201.jpg
    20171231_172201.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 62

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Also remember, with 2 heads and a block to mate up the intake, a machine shop may have to skim the intake for it to properly fit.
Good luck

BD

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Well, GNBN. I have eliminated the external leaks, but now it is leaking inside and down into the oil pan. I may just have to punt and try the stock intake, but then I have to fabricate a spacer for the carb and rebuild it. Joy.

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Yay! I talked to a machinist who said i was within tolerances. He recommended no cork ends on the gasket and to skim each port with Ultra black anyway. I did. Leaked a little on the interior, but I went back and retorqued all the bolts after warming up the manifold with a hair dryer. Viola! Finally, maybe I can get this project moving again.

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
It's alive! Woooooooo! I can't get the video of it running to upload, but it sounds pretty awesome with just the headers.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I heard it!!! All the way down here in Sunny SC:)

-

Really Folks, I did hear it, Warren sent me a Video:)

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Recently came across a 2.8 intake that will mount a Weber carb. Would this have been in a Capri or an earlier
Mustang II. Since I am having trouble w/ the Holley 2 bbl. thought I might experiment some w/a Weber.
Anyone familiar w/ this intake?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a lot of trouble with a Holley on a conversion car. The Holley needs a high spacer to atomize the
fuel properly. We tried it on the manifold with a smaller spacer and got 4ft flames out of the carb! You
should have seen the look on the guys Wife !

We purchased a 38/38 Weber from Redline. They set it up for a direct bolt on. Worked really well right out of
the box with minimal tuning and adjustments. I'd highly recommend one as they are more like a "machined piece"
as opposed to the Holley.

Cheers!
Steve

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
"4ft flames"
Haven't had flames yet but bottom of the intake stays wet.
The car starts very easily and idles good but will not rev above 2000 rpm's.
Oddly, it run pretty well for a number of years before crapping out, after sitting for a few months.
Since it looks like I will end up w/ a Weber, is there any difference between between the two intakes other than the
topside stud pattern, or is there a Weber carb base that will bolt to the wider stud pattern of the Bronco intake ?
Would prefer not to change intakes.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Since it looks like I will end up w/ a Weber, is there any difference between between the two intakes other than the
topside stud pattern, or is there a Weber carb base that will bolt to the wider stud pattern of the Bronco intake ?
Would prefer not to change intakes.

We used the stock Mustang II intake. Redline has adapters that will fit just about any manifold, so they should be able
to help you out. I really don't think there are many differences between the V6 intakes. From the pics that Dan shows
it looks like the Weber will bolt right on.

Cheers!
Stteve

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks. I have 2 different intakes. the major differences I see are a 3 stud water inlet as opposed to 2 on the Bronco intake;
the smaller carb base on which an adapter is fitted for the Weber/Holley , as opposed to the wider stud base on the Bronco for the Morotcraft
carb.
I have just found an adapter for the Bronco intake that will set up for a Weber, $40.00, at New Parts. Never heard of them before.
Since I have the Weber I will give the adapter a try, see how it comes out. It is progressive and came off a 2.8, so it is a 32/36.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
bulldurham (Doug), theOFY Water Neck un-modified DSC03595.JPG OFY Water neck bolt holes 20180102_171148.jpg three (3) stud type water neck intake manifold will take the OFY 4bbl intake water neck. The stock ones are difficult to find. If anyone should have a spare please let me know. I would certainly like to have one or two.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, your intake, 3 bolt , is like the one you saw last week when you were here. The front stud was broken so I suspect the PO
broke the water neck to get it off as it was not w/ the engine. The carb intake section on mine will not mount a Motorcraft carb w/o the use of adapter
plate so it is obviously different than the Bronco II setup which is on my car now.
Can you send a pic of the carb stud riser on the 3 stud water inlet intake? Right now I don't plan to give up on the B II intake as I think the above mentioned adapter will work for me. If anyone has the adapter plate shown in Dan's picture I would be interested in acquiring another as mine ios somewhat pitted and has a break near the front, functional but looks pretty bad.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Going to bring this thread back alive, since I have a leak at the back of the intake manifold. My setup is the OFY intake, Holley 4BL, on the 2.8 V6 as well.

Presently taking things apart and having a look. Want to find out how it all dry fits together first. (might need to be machined, we got to look first. ) The prior owner did some dumb things with the engine build so I am not surprised by what I find.

Suggestions on sealants and gaskets to be used are welcome.