• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Le Mans heater blower & switch

g.boat

Donation Time
Gents,

My first post so be gentle with me if I'm doing this wrong.

I have been speaking with Ian and discovered that a toggle switch on my dash that turns the blower on and off is a later addition. Presumably because the lever switch stopped working. Having discovered this the heater blower has packed up working as if it knew it was being talked about. The heater matrix was leaking and I assume that steam/ coolant over the years has taken its toll on the electrics. I therfore have the following questions I hope you can answer.

1. Can the heater blower come out without taking the dash out? I'm thinking not ?

2. Can the lever switch be fixed. I know the dash would have to come out for this to be done ?

3. Incidentally I discovered today that it does not control the flap that diverts air to the car or screen. Again I'm assuming dash out ?

Thanks in advance !

Andy

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. If you think your switch is shot, check e bay and search for this # 170178811819. I have no ties to this auction. PS It's always good to have a spare! Jeff

g.boat

Donation Time
Jeff, Thanks for that. I'll take a look. The blower can be taken out without removing the dash but I think it'll be easier physically to bite the bulllet & take it out and do it properly.Merry Xmas. Andy

mikephillips

Donation Time
It can be a hassle reaching the bolts with the dash in place gut it can be done. As for the motor, I've found over the years that they rarely go so bad as to require replacement. Usually a disassembly and cleaning of the bits makes them work just fine.

g.boat

Donation Time
Mike, Jeff and Jan,

I thought I'd do a little more electrical testing before I scheduled a plan to take out the dash, just to make sure, as its freezing here at the moment and the prospect of working outside didn't appeal.

In a nutshell when I had first tested it I hadn't realised it was +ve earth and so put +ve to the feed of my toggle switch whilst trying to identify where the fault lay. Of course nothing happened. Having realised my mistake it looks more likely that the feed from the ignition is the problem. I have a centre console so I'm going to leave fixing it and the 'airbox' diverter flap until warm weather. As for the blower I ran a cable from the fuse box through the bulkhead to the blower switch. Took ten minutes and it works ! Not very well admittedly but I'm not sure it would have worked well when new.

Thanks again gents.

Andy