• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Laycock for a '67 or 5 speed?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My 67 has a "Battery"gauge while my earlier Alpine had a Voltage . Is the Battery gauge correct ?
Michael is correct about ammeters being the only correct option. However, many of us have switched to voltmeters, which is what I assume your battery gauge is. There are pros and cons to each, but the ammeters can pose a fire risk that is absent with a voltmeter, which is why I switched. Very stock-looking voltmeters are now available; if you are interested, the search function should quickly bring up the details.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you have the standard wheels a switch to 14" wheels with 195/60/14 rears or evwn 195/65 helps lengthen the gearing rhat with a 3.89 will be a decent step.

Changing a Series Alpine from stock diameter rear tires (22.8") to 195/60-14 rear tires with a diameter of 23.2" only changes the overall gearing by 1.8%. As an example, 4,000 RPM with 22.8" tires becomes 3,931 RPM with 23.2" tires.

Changing from a 4.22 to a 3.89 gearset results AND changing from stock diameter rear tires (22.8") to 195/60-14 rear tires with a diameter of 23.2" changes the overall gearing by about 9% (e.g., a drop from 4,000 RPM to 3,625 RPM).

To paraphrase Casey Stengel, "You could do the math."

The cost of a set of wheels and tires to drop 69 RPM or the cost of a set of wheels and tires AND changing the gearset to drop 375 RPM does not compute for me, but it's not my car and YMMV.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
The cost of a set of wheels and tires to drop 69 RPM or the cost of a set of wheels and tires AND changing the gearset to drop 375 RPM does not compute for me, but it's not my car and YMMV.

Barry, with the 65 series it drops around 400 total.. I know only another 25rpm ....

However the difference in an alpine at 3600 vs 4000rpm on a highway is noticeable.

If you look at cost of the wheel change ( quite easy to buy good s/h 14" 4x108 wheels.. Especially as so many tiger guys have gone from 14 and 15" panasports to larger wheels) its not very expensive... I'd say 600usd ... 3.89 again a good mod... Its a LOT cheaper than doing the 5 speed conversion or buying a fresh rebuilt OD from UK... Those will probably be in the 2500usd range?

And to clarify ... at no point am i saying it is not worth it... O/d was the single biggest improvement i made to my car and i wanted it from day 1 that I had my alpine... (Took 13 years to get it) but i drove my alpine daily and made the 3.89 diff and wheel changes as it did help on the freeway enough that it took the edge off at constant 60mph cruise.

The currenrt setup with 3.89/ 14" with 195/65 amd the overdrive is fantastic on the freeway.. And even if i had OD when i got the car i would still do the 3.89 and larger wheels ( wheels for the looks alone )

index.php

Jeff Howarth

Donation Time
I have made contact with Phil, seems my contact details changed a few years ago and were not reflected on here for some reason, sorry.
You can message me on here or email direct to jeff.v8tiger - x - gmail . com - swap the x for an @ sign and remove the spaces.

Tom H - glad to her the OD I sent is still going after 15 years.