• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Late series horn spring

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Anyone have a busted late series turn signal switch that I could use the horn spring contact. I just need the horn contact mainly but the whole switch would be a plus.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Were there stock turn signal switches where you push in the stalk to activate the horn? Maybe I am misunderstanding the role of the turn signal switch and horn. I thought they were independent.

Thanks,
Mike

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
The early series switch assembly has a spring loaded graphite bar above the switch, late series has a curved brass or copper spring that rides on a copper disk below the steering wheel.
Pics of late switch with horn spring

Attachments

• IMG_20200930_114633925.jpg
    IMG_20200930_114633925.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200930_114624967.jpg
    IMG_20200930_114624967.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 36

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
At least on the Series 3 switch assembly it had the extra ability of the stalk to flash the headlamps. This may be a feature on Series 1 & 2 I don't know. The switch assembly for these are 6 wire instead of the 4 wire for later models. Not sure why they dropped this feature but the sloppiness of the switch over time may have had them making them less complex as a result. Someone just sold one of the 6 wire switch assemblies on eBay, but I noticed the two extra wires were visibly cut off. But it was of the type where the stalk had the flash feature. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucas-Turn...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Rick

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
The spring's purpose was to provide electrical contact from the horn ring center boss (which obviously needs to rotate), to the wiring harness that is the turn signal switch assembly.

Rick

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Series 3 switch with pivoting stalk for headlight flash shown below. As stalk is moved in green arrow direction pivoting at the blue arrow, contact is made on plunger switch at red arrow. Note 6 wire harness. This one seems pretty tight, but I could imagine the flasher feature getting sloppy as the other parts of the switch assembly get sloppy.

Rick

P1160358rm.jpg P1160359r.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't remember where I heard this, but I was under the impression that MkII Tigers and some of the late "parts bin" Alpines had push-to-flash turn signals. Is this correct? And, were these standard on all S3 cars?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not on my US MK2 no 173 .
The slip shod look of the foot dimmer switch put through the floor with screws that stuck out into the wheel well always amazed me.. now all you concourse guys be sure to do some s***** work just like that. ;)

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
"The slip shod look of the foot dimmer switch put through the floor"...All cars back in the day has foot dimmers, even my '53 Packard.

I guess nobody has a loose spring to send to me.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tell me about it cuz my Volkswagen has got them as did my first vehicle a 68 international step van. But let's get down to what I'm talking about. The screws penetrate the floorboard and stick out into the wheel well pretty bush league attachment. I may have a busted up turn signal floating around I'll be digging around the garage tomorrow.