• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Late Series Hardtop - Rear Window Replacement

AlpineII

Donation Time
The rear window on my late series hardtop is extremely crazed and although light passes through it you can't see squat! I see that they are available through our standard suppliers. I also note it appears to simply be a thicker plexi-glass.

Has anyone simply had a new window cut for them in plexi-glass or is it not that simple of a replacement?

AlsPine

Donation Time
A flat peace of plastic might work, but the windows that Rick sells at Sunbeam specialties is molded with the correct curve to fit the hardtop. He also has the replacement rubber seal.
While you have the hard top off, pull the rubber body seals off the underside below the window and check for rust as this is where the hard top starts rusting out. If you find rust, wire brush it out as best as you can, then use POR15 rust killer to stop the rust. It is a good time to replace the rubber seals also.
You should be able to find POR15 at your local hardware store or auto paint supplier.

AlpineII

Donation Time
I was lucky in that my hardtop was a rust free. It is completely stripped down and has just been returned from the paint shop. I have all new seals, new headliner and rechromed hardware and the only thing missing is a good rear window.

I was unaware there is a "curve" to the window so will order one.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Eddie,

\The rear windows are not flat perspex, they are double convex in section. You are better off getting the correct window. The sides are flat perspex, you can have those made at a boat/marine perspex supplier, ideally use lexan.