• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

LAT (???) hood, triangles and scoop

M

mschoonmaker

I am looking for a hood for my alpine that I believe is a tiger LAT hood, does anyone know where I can get one? Repro or original. I think they look so cool I gotta have one on my car.

alpine_64

Donation Time
if you do a search on the board, there is a link i posted a while back for fibreglass LAT hoods (originals are glass too) issue with them is how well they fit. i will see if i can find the link.

M

mschoonmaker

lat hood

no luck with search, I looked thru all your post too and didnt see it.

dmich2

Donation Time
I too like the LAT hood, but would be concerned with shelling out that kind of money and then have it not fit. Is there any chance someone produces just the scoop? That way I'm assured the hood would still fit and the scoop can be attached as needed.

Thanks.

Dennis

mikephillips

Donation Time
As I understand the originals required a lot of work to make them fit as well. Most of them varied somewhat from the steel hood measurments.

M

mschoonmaker

Its Fiberglass, much easier to make fit than steel (use a good body man, grind to far and your done). Who cares about money, $500 for a car that looks BA, no problem. LOL

Thanks 64

atallamcs

Donation Time
Lat Hood

Hi All,

I know many Tiger owners--the fiber glass hood fits with minor adjustments. I personally had my body man make my scoop (as on the lat hood) but out of metal on the original hood. It was very expensive as the hood has compound curves. I did not like the ducts and dealt with heat evacuation a different way.
There are cobra hood scoops available both in plastic and aluminum--but body work is required here as well.

Best,

Bill Atalla

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi All,

I know many Tiger owners--the fiber glass hood fits with minor adjustments. I personally had my body man make my scoop (as on the lat hood) but out of metal on the original hood. It was very expensive as the hood has compound curves. I did not like the ducts and dealt with heat evacuation a different way.
There are cobra hood scoops available both in plastic and aluminum--but body work is required here as well.

Best,

Bill Atalla
Bill,

You and I share the same opinion, that the NACA ducts don't look very good. On the other hand, I love the fender louvers you put on your car though.

Jose :)

T

Tigger

The Original Fiberglass Hood had it's fitting problems and from what I understand there is a major delamination problem. There is a reproduction available from a San Diego resource.To my understanding the usbody hood has fitting problems and that the 'Diego hood has some refinements. The fiberglass example isn't cheap, but well constructed. Try contacting some Southern California Tiger owners.
Personally, I have only seen LAT hoods at TE/AE functions and never had one in my creative workshop but I cloned a hood from some pictures sent to me in the mail by a client. A copy of Tiger Tales came in my mail and from there i began fabrication. Please don't ask me for a price, I'm positive many on this board bought their Alpine for less than the labourous effort I put into a reproduction STEEL LAT hood. It is amazing how a seamless hood draws alot of critisism, definitely worth a giggle or two!
I once offered a panel package for the LAT hood, but not presently. For reference you can send your bodyperson these images.=
http://photos.yahoo.com/sunbeambob
Nothing to read between the lines here, just an educational photo album for those interested.

Jose: The rear scoops were not properly laid out on the original in my opinion, and for eye appeal, my latest hood has a personalised rear vent that fits the body lines much smoother. (Sorry,no photos available of that beauty, keep an eye on Speed channel as It might show up there this year with some other projects of mine)

Tigger

atallamcs

Donation Time
hood scoop and side louvers

Thanks Jose for the positive comment. They were not easy to do--for those interested--the scoop on my tiger is all metal and by the time it was finished a $5000 proposition--includes paint. The louvers were also of this order--do not expect to see many side louvers that actually work as to get it right they need all kinds of ducting and body work, etc.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Bill,

I bought a set of louvers at the United that was held in Charlston, SC., about 13/14 years ago. I was going to put them in my turbo Alpine, but my brother wanted them for his V6 Alpine, which was the first Alpine I converted. When he had the body work done, he also had ducting from the engine compartment to the outside, via the louvers. If I knew how to post pictures, I would love to post a picture of it here. The ones I bought were smaller than the ones you put into your Alpine, so don't look quite as good as yours do.

Jose :)

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Glass hood weight vs metal from the factory

Just curious, but what is the weight difference between a factory metal and a glass hood?

Allan