• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

KYB Shocks

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
Does anyone know if the Series 1-3 KYB's for sale by SS are specific to Alpines, or are they a marked up readily available KYB part number?

Hodee

Donation Time
Any KYB adjustable for SerV that are direct bolt on? Or are mods needed to the Camaro equivalent?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Somewhere there is a list of alternative shocks, which list the Camaro, Buicks and other cars as the sources. I think they called the shocks "Red Ryder" or Monroe, or both. I did buy a set of the suggested shocks. I have a few comments: (1) yes, they had to be modified to fit. If I recall correctly, they came with a wide tube in the bottom that had to be pressed out so that the Sunbeam size could be put in (it was an easy swap, but I could imagine that if the glue was stronger, it could be hard). (2) I never liked the shocks (Red Ryders). (3) If Rick is selling KYBs, high likelihood he got them made right to fit without modification to begin with. (4) KYBs are gas shocks with positive pressure. So they actually can stiffen up the suspension a little. That could be a good thing or a bad thing based on your point of view.

I actually waited a long time and finally got the Konis. I know they are stupid expensive and arguably not worth all that money. But I am super happy with them. Sooo much better than the Red Ryders.

Hodee

Donation Time
Somewhere there is a list of alternative shocks, which list the Camaro, Buicks and other cars as the sources. I think they called the shocks "Red Ryder" or Monroe, or both. I did buy a set of the suggested shocks. I have a few comments: (1) yes, they had to be modified to fit. If I recall correctly, they came with a wide tube in the bottom that had to be pressed out so that the Sunbeam size could be put in (it was an easy swap, but I could imagine that if the glue was stronger, it could be hard). (2) I never liked the shocks (Red Ryders). (3) If Rick is selling KYBs, high likelihood he got them made right to fit without modification to begin with. (4) KYBs are gas shocks with positive pressure. So they actually can stiffen up the suspension a little. That could be a good thing or a bad thing based on your point of view.

I actually waited a long time and finally got the Konis. I know they are stupid expensive and arguably not worth all that money. But I am super happy with them. Sooo much better than the Red Ryders.
Thanks Jay, I assume the Konis are adjustable for comp and rebound? Im looking to make my car stiffer but not "race quality" stiff. Would you still recommend the Konis?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Just rebound. As I understand it, compression is not as sensitive or in need of adjustment. Generally, if compression changes are at issue, the springs should be changed. You will get a stiffer feel from slowing down the car from lifting back up (rebound).