• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Kohler engine

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Trying to start a 14hp single cylinder Kohler. Been setting about ten years. It will not run. Seems to have good compression. It either 1) fire into the exhaust, or 2) kicks back against the starter. I feel this is eminently unfair. It should do one or the other, not both.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Carb float valve issue. Dumping raw fuel into the intake? I’ve had flooding issue with my JD X300 mower. In fact I was mowing once and it flooded out and stalled. Fuel in. cylinder could cause the kick back. Fuel in the muffler cause the flame after it attempts to fire.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The plug is not wet. First attempt to start was with choke on, throttle wide open. It cranked for sometime before anything happened. I think it was a few kickbacks, then fire into exhaust. That scenario has been repeated several times. Take it off choke, after a couple of misfires, it spins with no further fuel ignition. Remove plug, it is dry. I have squirted fuel (fresh) into the cylinder. Afterfires and kickbacks. Not one solid hit. Ever.

I wonder, it has been stored in a shed. Am I experiencing rodent damage to the ignition system?

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Perhaps. Is the flywheel tight on the crankshaft? If it’s magneto driven then the spark timing comes from the flywheel position relative to the crank. If the woodruff key has been damaged (like when a mower hits a rock) then the flywheel can move relative to the crank and the timing will be all over the place.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,
Mike H hit it on the head. If it's been sitting for 10 years more than likely the carb is all gummed up
and the needle and seat are probably stuck. Especially since you're not getting the proper fuel flow.
Just drop the fuel bowl off the bottom of the carb and clean everything.

Hope that helps.
Steve

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Assuming that you have flushed / replaced the old gas and the carb is not gummed up, it sounds like the ignition timing is either 1) late or 2) early (or maybe some of both). A good look at the points and condenser seems appropriate.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Fixed it!
Long story. The engine is really 15 hp mounted on a pressure washer and has a recoil starter! About ten years ago, I decided to install a starter. Bought a used starter and flywheel on Ebay and installed them. Then, things get a little foggy. I thought I used it a time or two before putting it away. But evidently not. The parts were for a 16 hp engine, not a 15. The difference is in the ignition timing. The 16 uses electronic spark control and advanced static timing. My engine had the "dumb" ignition, which gives too much spark advance at low speed, hence the kickback.

The solution was to remove the starter ring gear from the 16 hp flywheel and install it on the 15 hp flywheel, it came from the factory ready to accept the gear. Sounds simple was was a ton of work, mostly due to the sheared Woodruff key jamming the flywheel in place. Once all the cursing was done and out of the way, it fired up about the second time over.