• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

kickdown cable for BW35

Boobtube

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm trying to locate a kickdown cable for the BW35 tranny this car of mine has. I have located one for a Volvo p1800 and another for MG and both were for the right transmission but the wrong length. The Sunbeam cable is 27 inches long (outer cable sheath length from fitting to fitting). The Volvo is 25 and the MG is 39. From what I've read, getting the length right is critical for proper operation. I could live with an extra inch but not 10. It's a very stiff cable and there's no place for that extra to go. Anyone know of a substitute from another vehicle that is a match? I know that the BW35 was used in a lot of cars. Web searches produce no results for the elusive Sunbeam.

Last edited:

Boobtube

Silver Level Sponsor
I may be answering my own question again. I might be able to utilize the Volvo cable even though it's shorter. I'm going to remove from the package (can't return now) and see if I can get it to fit. I'll let you know what I discover for those other rare auto trans owners. Stay tuned.

Boobtube

Silver Level Sponsor
The solution

In the end, the Volvo cable didn't work--too short. I wound up cutting down the MG cable with my trusty Dremel tool and rebuilding the cable to a shorter length. You'll need a dremel tool, drill and glue. Finding the correct length cable on-line was just impossible. MG cables are bountiful.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
There is a Company here in UK called Speedy Cables who will make cables to your specification. They may already have the dimensions on file for the BW35 one.