• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Keys

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I just got a 1967 Alpine and it came with only one ignition key and it does not work on any of the other locks. Does anyone make lock cylinders for the doors and trunk or do I have to replace the door handles? Are there key codes anywhere and can I get replacement keys? If so, where can I get them?

greenbean

Donation Time
There used to be multiple places on ebay that can sell you keys if you have the lock number which is on the backside of the tumbler, IIRC. You just have to get the tumbler out to get the numbers:eek:. Once I got the lock numbers off the tumbler I was able to got to a local "old-time" locksmith and he had the key blanks and made me the keys. He said that the key blanks fit a lot of english cars and some old file cabinets.
You might check with Rick at Sunbeam Specialties as he used to sell new replacement tumblers which is sometimes good to due. My ignition tumbler was so "sloppy", I almost bought a replacement --- most the other tumblers are not used near as much!!

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Talk to Mark ( volvoguys on here) as he has keys and I believe lock cylinders.
You never know, he might have what you're looking for.
Cheers!
Steve

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the plug, Steve.

Originally, series Alpines were keyed so the door & ignition had the same lock/key number. The boot & console were keyed similarly (but were different than the door/ign.) so they shouldn't match the door. The door/ign. typically used a ROOTES stamped key made by the companies Strebor or L&F whereas the boot/console only used a Wilmot Breedon key.
I have a selection of NOS Rootes keys and lock barrels are well as NOS Wilmot Breeden keys. If interested, please send a direct email to volvoguys@comcast.net to include what your needs are and what you may already have.

Mark ..... volvoguys (PA)