• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Key lock tumbler repair

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Do you guys know anything about key lock repair? If I have an original ignition key how could I reprogram the tumbler to fit the original key? Also, have you noticed the tumblers are code stamped, as an example of some door lock tumblers that I have:
RM802
RM812
ST837
ST879
I also have some original Rootes keys and some of them are stamped too.
Here's one:
RM862

It seems obvious these 5-digits represent a specific 5-pin cylinder lock combo. I think I can reprogram the pins and give it a go, but I haven't figured out how they come apart yet....LoL!
Maybe they cannot be taken apart?
Jan

mikephillips

Donation Time
I know its possible to do that sort of thing, I've run across references to people doing that to recode cylinders to match the rest or to a specific key, but I've never done it myself. as for the letter number combinations, they should match between the ignition and doors, and between the center console and trunk lock. So the two keys would match those two sets of tumblers.
I'd say try a locksmith to see what can be done or perhaps search online for ignition switch rekeying.

One thing to consider too, how worn is the key?? Most are fairly "used" by now. You might want to see if you can get a new key for the number, Triple C auto has obtained original masters for many and cuts them to the as new profile. May have one to fit your code. If you're going to redo the cylinders, might be a good thing to be as new by the time they're done.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Rootes Archive had a cache of original keys as well... might want to contact them and see if they have your number. They had two for my car (I bought both).

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
If you have any spare unmatched barrels and keys you may be lucky to have one combination takes the same key shape and that "nearly" pulls all the tumblers flush with the barrel with the key inserted. I had a seized door barrel with a broken internal spring - therefore non-repairable (at least for me). In the example in the photo I was able to get a near match which I made to work by grinding the offending tumbler down - sticking out is bad. Obviously I have weakened the theoretical combinations but the door now locks great. You can twist the barrel in the handle as you go to see how well the grinding is proceeding. I only needed to grind one of the tumblers.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 30

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mark DAvis (VolvoGuys) has some info on the keys and tumblers too! Suggest you make contact with him,

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I just remove the tumbles and move them around until the original ignition key fits, it helps a lot if you have extra tumblers. I did this all the time when I worked for BMW if I had to install a new door luck and make it match the car. Just keep an eye on the small springs when removing the tumblers.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jim E wrote an article maybe 15 years ago that was on the site about sizing the pins to allow you to adjust a repro tumbler to fit your original keys

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I got some of the pins removed and apparently they can be pushed from the bottom or pulled right out the top. They can be stubborn.

(more - After using a micrometer to gauge each of the five cuts in a sample of 7 original Rootes keys, they used only 3 sizes (0.175" / 0.200" / 0.235"). So from that, I can assume they used only "3" standard pin sizes. So, looking at the maximum possible combinations you could say..."with 3 choose 5" or 3 to the 5th power =243. But, there are some rules applied like:
1- No more than three of the same in a sequential group (mostly paired of one)
2- Most combinations use all three; Of course the minimum is two
and there might be other rules..)

Thanks,
Jan

Last edited: