• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ken Miles/Lew Spencer's Sebring Alpine

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, I think I have resolved the disposition of the 1962 Sebring Alpine of Ken Miles/Lew Spencer. Based on a series of discussions over the last few days it appears that the car was dismantled in the 1980's or so.

It appears that Ray Kawcek who lived in San Francisco had this car. Ray passed away in 1994 so establishing specific details is impossible. I don't know all the details but I think this may put the search to a conclusion.

Some of the parts were salvaged. I am not sure who has these parts at this time... if they are still around.

If I had to speculate on how many more Sebring cars are missing and could be found I would say one... that would be Ralph Noseda's 1961 Alpine. It disappeared in Florida and I have found no further clues.

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I am guessing the alloy panels and possibly a few other items.

What precipitated my search and discussions in the last few days was a casual mention that there were some alloy paneled doors that another person in the Bay area had at one time.

Could have the chassis survived? I doubt it. I would guess it was stripped of parts and sent to the crusher but I have no way of confirming this since Ray Kaweck had passed away in 1994. There were enough details that coincided with other information that I believe it was the car.

Maybe more could be found out over time... I would love to know if anyone continued to race it after Bud Rose sold it. I can't imagine it went straight to the street in 1963/64.

Steve

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
.................... I can't imagine it went straight to the street in 1963/64.

Steve

Not that relevant but Bob Avery's Harrington Alpine (red #55 don't recall off the top if that was Titus' or Theodoli's car) did directly after Sebring interestingly enough, sans the webers I think.....

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, the Theodoli Alpine raced for 2 solid years - bridgehampton, marlboro, lime rock, vineland, etc. Most of these endurance multi hour events. By the time Avery bought the car many race miles which most people aren't aware of. (and the car was stripped of most of the competition parts)

The Miles/Spencer car, the best I can tell, only ran an event or two when Bud Rose owned it. It would be hard for me to believe that a car that was as detailed as the Sebring Alpine was, alloy panels, competition interior, prepped motor, etc, only to run a couple of events and converted to street use.

Stranger things have happened but I really feel somebody continued to race the car.

Steve

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I didn't realize the difference, makes sense that Bobs car was due retirement anyway.

Anyone seen his car or heard from him lately? I've been trying but haven't got a response. Too bad he's not a internet savy type.