• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Just sharing my project.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
NOT talking politics.
So the weather was still too hot to work outside, but I was able to work in the shed with the fan on and my "oops" off. Sorry, just a shirt. I mean no shirt. Never mind. I think I had mentioned that I had gotten a wood dash. Yes, I remember I did, because I was wondering if all were made so crudely.
Anyway, I've been trying to figure out what to do about the glove door. #1 should I, #2 what design. Certainly couldn't match the wood grain ever. How about just a black door, hinged, latched. Seems kind of plain Jane.

That poor woman, she must have been damn ugly to have been referred to for such a long time. Plain Jane.
Was that a reference to Calamity Jane of the Old West?

Anyway finally decided on just a piece of half inch wood that I patterned , hand cut, and round edge sanded. I used to have a wood shop, but when I sold it, I really sold it. I have the minimum tools to do any work. Anyway then I covered it with my matching interior vinyl.

I have not gotten to the hinges yet, and I think I want to use either just a magnetic catch, or a magnetic lock mechanism.

What ya think guys.Glove door 1.jpg Glove door 2.jpg

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Glove door 3.jpg OK, here's my next thought, I think this can be pin-hinged. Would be a really easy job. Then, do I leave it plain, or put an actual knob on it where indicated?

Jim

65beam

Donation Time
This was supplied with the dash from SS. Notice the hinges and the small chrome knob. It has a magnetic catch with the magnet attached to a small bracket hanging down from the inside of the wood and the knob clings to that. These dashes are made on the west coast. 110_0665.JPG

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

Dash & glove box space look great.

Just a little curious why you are mixing gauges from different series. I.e. the speedo looks like series 3 or 4 versus the fuel & temp gauges are series 5.

Mike

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Hi Mike, thanks, glad you like it.
Actually the gauges in the dash are just the temporary ones that came with it and after cleaning them, I just replaced them for show. Since I know they work, I'll use the existing gauges out of my series V when I get ready to install the dash. Good of you to point that out though, as I really didn't take notice of the speedometer style. I know that the Ammeter and the clock are incorrect, but both of them present well, and I'll go with them. Stay safe.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
The vinyl covered glove box looks super. What about a black knob that matches other knobs on the dashboard.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I agree! ... The covered glove box does look very nice ... Since there isn't much security with the stock paper box, why not use a double push type magnetic lock ... that way there's no need for a handle or knob. ... Just a thought .....

..... David

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,

First off, I feel so bad that it's been too hot to work on the car. I woke up to snow on Saturday morning (Cleveland, OH area)!!!! I know, that's what I get for living in CLE. You would cry at the cost of living though.

That does look like a S3 speedometer. Do you know if it's for an OD car? If it is, and you won't be using it, I would be interested.

Thanks.

Mike

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I know nothing about the speedometer that's in the dash right now. But it's (# SN-5324-33 1040)

So what should the correct SV speedo face look like?
I have one #SN 5324/50 1020 This appears to match the existing tach.
IMG_1316 (1).jpg

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

I maintain a gauge inventory here: http://wp.mhartman.net/home/cars/sunbeam/alpine/gauges

5324/33 is a series 4 speedo that appears to have been used for Automatic transmissions. It may have also been used with 'standard' gearboxes. Not sure on that, though.

The picture you posted above is the series V speedo faceplate for the 'standard' gearbox and MPH being dominate.

Mike

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
This innocent post of mine, has created an absolutely Gi-normous situation.
I am almost appalled at my ignorance/innocence. I thought Stupidity was maybe a little bit too harsh, even for me.
Anyway, when I got my OD transmission, Kit from Jeff in England, it had an OD speedometer included with it. Great.

But, I had been reading about how to zero these old speedometers, and decided to try it on my old speedometer that I was not going to use. Wow, pretty simple, a little joggling around, and everything looked new. (No intentions of selling, or cheating, or etc.) Restored to Zero. So that went so well, decided to do that one. Yep...just totally got everything jammed up and couldn't get it back to work. Aha, I'll just use the odometer that I zeroed out. Walla... worked just fine. All buttoned up and ready to go.

After 7 years, I just found out what a real goof I really am/maybe was? I'm still running my original non-OD speedometer.
Call me Mr. DuMass.
Guess I really gotta do some thinking here. Wow.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
In my case there is a pretty large difference between indicated and actual speed, as mentioned in another post. If I went by the speedo, I'd have a bunch of angry honking motorists behind me! Have you checked it against a GPS?