• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Just another barn find thread......

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cautionary note: SV hubs will not work, the axles are larger than the earlier Series.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe a John and Doug Miller have some knowledge of modifying the Alpine wire hubs to bolt type hubs.

They are members of the SAOCA. Doug goes by bulldurham

John's handle is: knightowl61

Last edited:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Modifications aren't necessary to switch from wire to steel wheels. Backing plates, brake shoes, drums, etc. are all the same so only the hubs need changed.

Front hubs are common throughout Series Alpine and are easy swapped by removing the cotter pin and castle nut and pulling off. Rear hubs are common for Series I-IV but, as Dan said, the SV has larger axles (thicker) and it's rear hubs cannot be used on earlier-production cars. The rears will also require a puller and there are lots of threads that discuss this. Methinx TimR produced a video about this, too, in the Feature forum.

I believe I have a full set of early hubs already on the shelf. PM if interested.

Mark ..... volvoguys

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
I believe I am on the right track now. Just to be clear, I need to move this thing around the shop.......no road usage. I got the left rear drum off and see how it assembles now, and I don't think I need to replace the knockoff hub with a lug nut hub. The pattern through the drum is 4x108, and the spline OD is <62mm. A late 80's mustang wheel should fit the lug pattern and its 63.5mm hub ID should slip over the hub and let the wheel bolt up. This is just my interim fix to get it mobile.IMG_4909.JPG IMG_4907.JPG IMG_4910 (2).png

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The pattern through the drum is 4x108, and the spline OD is <62mm. A late 80's mustang wheel should fit the lug pattern and its 63.5mm hub ID should slip over the hub and let the wheel bolt up. This is just my interim fix to get it mobile.
I have never heard of anyone doing this before. It will be a very clever and efficient solution if it works.

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
We are going to begin disassembling the car in the next few weeks. I assume people out there (somewhere) would be interested in the Engine and Transmission. What's a fair price for them with 60k on the odometer and has been sitting for 30+ years?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
What's a fair price for them with 60k on the odometer and has been sitting for 30+ years?
It is a cliche, but a fair price is what someone is willing to pay and generally speaking, that often isn't much for a non-running engine because they are so expensive to ship. As an example, see this thread, where someone in California tried for several months to give away an engine and transmission. http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/siv-engine-and-transmission-in-ca.29940/. (One of our members went and got it right before it went to the scrap yard.) Overdrive transmissions are an exception to this rule because they are so rare and, as I recall, your car may have an OD, which someone will almost definitely want. Off the top of my head, I'd guess that an early non-synchro OD that has been sitting would probably be worth $2-400, but I could easily be way off in either direction on that.

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
After much consideration, the car is going to require more work than I have time for. (Also found two cars in light years better condition) So, the car is for sale. It is posted in the cars for sale section of the forum. I'm sure it will be a perfect project for someone with a better fabrication skillset than myself.