• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Just another barn find thread......

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hello all. I was definitely not in the market for an Alpine, but I stumbled across an interesting project car. It appears to be a 1963 B911881 VIN Series II car. The car has essentially rotted into the ground for the past 30 years as a sort of novelty at a local car lot. Top off of course. I have no intention of getting it back to "factory fresh", but thought it would be a fun project to drop an LS into and plunk around town #Roadkill style. Before I do anything crazy, I wanted to make sure this wasn't some one-off between years holy grail car. It clearly presents itself as a Series II, but there is one thing that is throwing me off. The fuel tank is split in the inner fenders in the trunk, which I have seen described as a Series III feature. (Of course, I didn't get a picture inside the trunk)

All of that being said, the car has sat outside for over 30 years.

Cons: The floor pans have reintegrated back to the earth, the top is non-existent (Frame only in place), and there is a small patch of Bondo on the trunk. I personally have no hope for the engine and transmission. (Possibly someone is looking to restore these)

Pros: The body has survived amazing well. The engine bay was covered by the hood and looks relatively decent considering the backstory. The trunk is also in decent shape. All in all, there is a decent shell to work with. My buddy and I have discussed fabricating new floor pans and reinforce underneath, remove the drivetrain and replace with a small LS and 5-speed, weld up any areas of concern (door skins), and leave everything alone from an appearance perspective.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4811.JPG
    IMG_4811.JPG
    681.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4809.JPG
    IMG_4809.JPG
    477.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4816.JPG
    IMG_4816.JPG
    489.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_E4814.JPG
    IMG_E4814.JPG
    559.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_E4819.JPG
    IMG_E4819.JPG
    603.7 KB · Views: 112

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Appears to be a Series II. Splits gas tank could be a modification ?? Never seen a II w/ 2 tanks.
I would be very concerned about the underneath structure being solid.l

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'll get some better trunk pics of I decide to buy it. Yes, the structure is a major concern. With this being a unibody car, has anyone seen a successful rebuild? Are replacing floor pans enough if you we could tie back into good steel?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Hello all. I was definitely not in the market for an Alpine, but I stumbled across an interesting project car. It appears to be a 1963 B911881 VIN Series II car. The car has essentially rotted into the ground for the past 30 years as a sort of novelty at a local car lot. Top off of course. I have no intention of getting it back to "factory fresh", but thought it would be a fun project to drop an LS into and plunk around town #Roadkill style. Before I do anything crazy, I wanted to make sure this wasn't some one-off between years holy grail car. It clearly presents itself as a Series II, but there is one thing that is throwing me off. The fuel tank is split in the inner fenders in the trunk, which I have seen described as a Series III feature. (Of course, I didn't get a picture inside the trunk)

All of that being said, the car has sat outside for over 30 years.

Cons: The floor pans have reintegrated back to the earth, the top is non-existent (Frame only in place), and there is a small patch of Bondo on the trunk. I personally have no hope for the engine and transmission. (Possibly someone is looking to restore these)

Pros: The body has survived amazing well. The engine bay was covered by the hood and looks relatively decent considering the backstory. The trunk is also in decent shape. All in all, there is a decent shell to work with. My buddy and I have discussed fabricating new floor pans and reinforce underneath, remove the drivetrain and replace with a small LS and 5-speed, weld up any areas of concern (door skins), and leave everything alone from an appearance perspective.

Thoughts?
Looks some of the stuff I started with to get thisIMG_20210430_082849907.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a friend near Atlanta doing an Alpine SII implant of LS engine. It can be done!! However there is strong probability of a new sub structure (frame) needed.

Have fun! It will be an exciting project,

DanR

10472.jpg

loose_electron

Donation Time
The rust and rot on that car can suck the life out of you for the next 5 years with a long string of welding repairs.

There are a lot of "project" Sunbeams out there that are in much better condition, that can be had for under $3,000.

It's your time and your money, but in my opinion:

Go look for something that you can fix and restore, rather than spending all your time refabricating the steel.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
A handful of semi-random thoughts for you to consider:
  • The VIN identifies the car as a fairly late production SII. I have never seen or heard of a SII that had twin tanks, so if there they must be from a previous owner. Good SII gas tanks are very hard to find today, but I would think it would have been strange for someone to have trouble finding one 30 years ago.
  • I have heard of people combining two wrecked cars into one. Is it possible that this is a S3 back end welded onto a SII front end?
  • The VIN also indicates that the car originally came with an overdrive transmission. If that is there and complete, it is probably worth more than the rest of the car. (more on that in a moment.) Later synchro ODs are more desirable than the early ones, but all OD's are increasingly hard to find and this one should be saved.
  • Even if the OD is toast, some parts of it are very hard to find and it will still be worth salvaging.
  • As far as the rot, replacing the floors is a pain in the butt (and knees) but many here have done it. Replacement floor panels are available from several sources. However, if the frame is rotted, you are looking at far more work and fabrication.
  • All that said, the car does not look like it has much value beyond parts, especially if there is frame rot. Other than someone who assigned great sentimental value to the car, I doubt that many here would consider it worth restoring.
  • So, if the price is right, you should feel free to do what you want with it. But, be aware that the engine compartment is fairly small and the factory went to quite a bit of effort to fit the small block Ford V8 into the Tiger. I am no expert on this, but believe that something like an LS will require fairly major surgery on the inner fenders and firewall, which in turn would require new methods of maintaining structural integrity. Which you may be doing anyway, if the frame is rotted.
Just my 2 cents. Others with more engine swap experience may have other feeling, but please let us know what you do with it. And, also let us know if you pass and the dealer is planning on junking the car. There are members in your vicinity who would probably jump at the chance to grab what is worth grabbing.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a complete sub frame from a Series II in excellent condition that was removed from the Sabertooth Sunbeam Alpine with the LS.

I did however sell the Tunnel for a Tiger/Alger project. I have had lots of opportunity to sell pieces but don't want to do that because it is near perfect for a restoration of an Alpine.

Keep'em-on-the-Road !

If interested send me an e-mail or call

DanR

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
  • The VIN identifies the car as a fairly late production SII. I have never seen or heard of a SII that had twin tanks, so if there they must be from a previous owner. Good SII gas tanks are very hard to find today, but I would think it would have been strange for someone to have trouble finding one 30 years ago.
  • I have heard of people combining two wrecked cars into one. Is it possible that this is a S3 back end welded onto a SII front end?

The fuel fill location seems to be correct for a series II. Series 3 fill location is higher.

My two cent thought would be to plan for a complete, new fabricated frame because the wire wheels and rear end wont stand up to a LS very long.

Might be simpler, quicker, and fewer compromises in the course of implementation.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Until the car is in the air there's no way to tell just how extensive the rot is. Based on what little I can see, I'll agree with Jim that its more likely a parts car.

What is the asking price?

Mark ..... volvoguys

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
The OD, switch, relay, and matching speedometer (if all are working) would probably be worth more than what the car is worth. But I wouldn't expect all to be working.

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great feedback guys. I mentioned an LS swap only because I have a 6.0 LS getting ready to go into Dad's '72 C10 Truck. My heart tells me that I should consider the Rover 3.9 or 4.0 to keep it British. (I have the 3.9 the Defender 90 and have enjoyed the decent power and exhaust note.) Is the original engine worth saving for someone?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The Buick 215/Rover has been done a few times, I'd go 4.6 though for a little more power. Same external size. Lighter and shorter than the SB Ford.