• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Junkyard Fastback in SC

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just received the following message via our Facebook page:

LKQ Pick Your Part in Greenville, SC has a 1969 Alpine fastback in their yard as of yesterday 9-22-20. It was complete but the interior was a bit rough & a bit rusty in the rocker panel area. I took pictures if you'd like to post this. Complete cars do not leave LKQ until they're flattened, parts only.

I asked for his pictures and will add any I receive, but wanted to get this up right away, since it was actually sent yesterday.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, That is 45 miles from me..... I'll have a look. Anyone wanting anything?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I thought might! If nothing else, I'd grab the aluminum oil pan, if that is still there.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim,

Engine pic is single carb, should be iron head and not an alloy sump.
Engine might supply a rebuildable bottom end or mostly complete for a Hillman - Check below alt/gen mount for a crack along the block
if you don't get entire engine, GET THE OIL FILTER MOUNT, it has the late style OPRV
engine front drive accessories and brackets - different than Series cars
Trans would have to exchange TOO long input shaft for use in a Series Alpine(bell housing is also two inches too deep to match input shaft + it's angled)
driveshaft has a unique front yoke to match output shaft
Radiator is same as Alpine but with reversed outlets
unicorn 3.70:1 differential - not likely due to manual trans - different than Series front flange on diff
rear axle is several inches wider than Series rears
rear drums are Lockheed and different to Alpine's Girling drums - just as hard to find I think

The grill seems to be amazingly straight in the pics as well as most of the other bright works
the steering shaft covers depending on conditions
maybe stuff in the trunk
maybe tail and reverse lights

Dan if you try to go look, be sure and call ahead. The LQK listing says it was on the lot starting 8/20/20 and cars don't have a long shelf life.

HTH and gives some food for thought,

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That is a great review of the differences and what is worth saving. Thanks, Don. I thought all fastbacks used the aluminum oil pan, so thanks for that clarification, too. One small thing, and I may be wrong about this, but didn't the fastbacks use the same warning light housings? If so, those would be quick and easy to grab.

Here are the photos Don is referencing:

120199023_1041475492973803_6577689392507668006_n.jpg 120182452_334482817972249_1978010545596795304_n.jpg 120159948_777913572942453_5109848623236674570_n.jpg 120251474_722429365015430_8773697071512984557_n.jpg 120298005_381935659605476_6109906646624601469_n.jpg 120222040_639613550091636_6139408715427622147_n.jpg 120193764_416159329365890_7013695096222374546_n.jpg 120233915_247429359989717_2514597590320734585_n.jpg 120231444_374622420241051_5933897719914333759_n.jpg 120100248_1826991197449476_1277622555513491353_n.jpg

Last edited:

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I see that one of the reverse lights has the glass. If I recall, Dan, you were looking for one of those a while back.

I believe I’m currently using a brake master from a fastback. Might be worth saving if it’s rebuildable. Might not.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I missed the back-up lights completely. The glass is easy to come by. If the housings are in good shape those would definitely be worth saving!

Edit: I just zoomed in on one of the photos and can see that the back-up lights are different from the ones used in the later Series. Still, I suspect they are worth saving.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
UPDATE !!

Paid a visit to the LKQ to get a few things from the Sunbeam Alpine Fastback.....

What a mess! Someone had gone through the Alpine and destroyed a lot of the parts.

The dash and interior were ripped apart with gauges pulled out and busted. I was able to save one (Speedometer) maybe.

Removed the turn signal switch. The steering covers were busted into several pieces (I tried to find all of them) but don't know why.

The grilles was gone. The tail lights were busted but the frames were still intact even though pitted badly. I did not remove them, for that reason. Anyone wanting them please advise.

Removed the thermostat housing which was fair with some corrosion.

I removed the Fuel pump which was complete but bowl has a minor chip (still serviceable) However it could/should be rebuilt.

Pulled the oil adapter.

Almost pulled the Alternator!!

Got the radiator which looks to be a good stock unmolested one. Probably have it recored for a V6 Conversion project should it be needed for such.

Removed the interior door handles and a couple window cranks handles (Fair condition) that can be good replacements should anyone need them.

Exterior Door handles looked very nice still with good chrome.

Trunk Knob and latch assembly was in good condition, but I left it. Anyone ???

Got the fuel tank which look very good, solid and clean. It is much larger than I thought it would be. It has the fuel sender also.

Removed the front and rear arm rest ( they are in good condition). Looked long and hard at the other pieces of upholstery, but it was in very sorry condition. Lots of water damage and abuse from people tearing into it for no apparent reason other than to see what was under or behind it. The seats were very solid frame wise but the upholstery was torn and ragged.

Wheels, rims, wheels dressings were all sadly in very deplorable condition.

The Oil pan was steel not aluminum!

The master cylinder was very rusty, don't believe worthy of recovering either.

All of the glass was very nice! Might be worth an attempt to keep for spares should anyone want them. Most of the window trim was still intact and very shiny.

Tries to get the E-brake handle and cable assembly but it was very rusty in a few places too.

The side reflectors (little rectangles) both red and yellow I pulled also. They are decent "drivers"....

I also pulled the seat belts, even though they were somewhat soiled.

The tach was damaged badly from where it had been forced out of the dash. I left it there. Might go back for it just in case there might be some value?

Tried to remove the two bumper pieces that wrap around from the back and run toward the rear wheel. One was damaged slightly (Fixable) but could not get the other one off due to extensive damage to the main portion of the rear bumper.

Iron Head !

Starter was there also!

Removed the two backup lights, one was complete in fair to good condition. The other had a lens missing and the inside (reflector shield) was rusted very badly. Might be able to save, sure hope so.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Did you pull the rear seat belts? They've often been shoved out of sight under the cushions and 'protected' from the elements. They can be used in Series Alpines and have a Rootes/pentastar logo on the buckle.

There have been a few inquiries about fastback glass on the forum. Hopefully someone sees your post and replies.

Check the oil filter base and see if it has the steel-bodied PRV. If so, you've struck gold. Supposedly they were used across the Arrow Range but I've come one or two Coupes that had the old brass PRV.

Looks like there's still a 3.89 diff waiting for someone.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I'd be interested in the 3.89 if it's available. Not sure what changes need to be made to pop it into a SV though...?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
You just want the diff unit, not the axles, housing, etc. It's a bolt-in to replace the SV unit. The only difference is that the fastback unit has a longer input flange. I swapped it with the SV flange to avoid the possibility of damaging the tranny when hitting really high, hard bumps. Some folks skip this.

Dan, I'd be interested in the 3.89 if it's available. Not sure what changes need to be made to pop it into a SV though...?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rootes, All of the glass is in excellent condition. I did not take it..... Do you recommend doing so? I sure hate to see the good stuff destroyed. Guess I need to do a search for anyone wanting glass?

I did get all of the seat belts, however some were not in very good condition.

Did consider keeping the oil filter base for my SIV, but SunAlp wants it for his build.

And the rear end was intact just don't know where ratio. Probably should go back ad pull it too.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If the diff is original, its a 3.89. The Coupe fastback only came with one ratio.

I'd recommend getting the front and rear glass. You're more likely to find a good home for that than for the smaller stuff, eg. door handles, window cranks, etc.

On that oil filter base, could you check which PRV it has?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, I'll ask the brain trusts here, since I don't actually know - is the whole rear axle assembly (axle to axle) easily changed out with a SV unit, or are they different?