• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Jules Haley SI race car

agmason54

Donation Time
President Steve!!
The car's original color is black.
I wll make an effort today to pay the car a visit. Jay the previous owner like me was in junior high school in 67 so I doubt he he bought it then.
Jay and I are casual freinds.Starting over 10 years ago everytime I saw him I would hand him a hundred bucks. If I didn't have the hundred I'd buy him a beer.
When I sold a SIII the other day I went looking for Jay and FINALLY paid him off.
I have been lucky that Jay and I are cool with each other.The way I see it he has been storing it for me for free and still is.
I'm blown away that you found that add.Good job!!! It must be the same car.
Thanks,
Al

agmason54

Donation Time
Jules Haley race car

Here's some new pictures...
Agm

Attachments

• 102_4904 (Large).jpg
    102_4904 (Large).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 102_4923 (Large).jpg
    102_4923 (Large).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I have had this photo for a while but never have been able to identify the driver. (it was posted by Steve Knoll on the Marlboro Raceway group) It is from 1968 at Marlboro, MD. There are a few minor details that match but it is still a long shot it could be Haley.

If you get the records from the previous owner search through it and see if you can find any SCCA entry forms or sometimes the drivers would save the "passed" sticker from an event. Notes on laptimes etc. One event that I remember seeing a listing for this car is Watkins Glen's National in 1964. I am sure that it ran at Connellesville - will have to check my programs. Nelson Ledges is a possibility, too. However, these events were typically regionals.

Steve

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Steve,

I note that the car in the picture is running the knock off minilite wheels (same as the ones Eric G had on the yellow racer and as on the black early series car you had) The image file indicates this photo was taken in 1968? Als car now has the LAT pie cutters, wonder when the car was converted to those and why? The pie cutters would be a 64-67 production date right?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The SCCA passed some restrictions on wheels around 1967. Wire wheels were definitely restricted

Most race cars that were racing on wires had to be converted to solid wheels by 1968. Personally, I always thought the "mini-lite" splined hub was a temporary measure. Compared to straight bolt-on alloy wheels they were considerably heavier and a hassele. Yes, they looked really cool but the weight was a penalty.

If I think a car continued to raced into the 70's I usually expect the wheels to have been changed from wires to alloy bolt-on.
I almost think the black race car we found and Eric's car were the exception. Our black car stopped racing around 69... Eric's car surprises me that it still ran those wheels as late as Livizy did.
Again, not positive that is Al's car but I have never identified the photo.

Steve

FP67Alpine

Donation Time
if it has the volvo pistons, the engine will be almost 2 liters and will have a lot of compression.QUOTE]

There have been a couple of reference to Volvo pistons in the forum over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing any specifics. What Volvo pistons were used and are there any advantages to them over other options?

Venolia in California makes custom forged pistons for my old race car back in the 80's. I bet they still have the blueprints. 12:5 to 1 ratio Series 5 1725 I had 138 HP with other Mods as well Check it out #49 back in the 70's and 80's in SCCA. This car still holds many track records in FP. Rick Trenk.