• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Judson supercharger

Limey

Donation Time
Hi All,

Another side project is fitting a Judson supercharger. The one they made for the MGA is almost suitable. Will need an inlet mod or two. Has anyone done this before? It is fairly low pressure so no head mods required I believe. Any thoughts good or bad gratefully received.

Thanks

Oliver

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 13.56.59.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 13.56.59.png
    881 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 14.01.14.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 14.01.14.png
    513.1 KB · Views: 40

Limey

Donation Time
Rather odd looking contraption:)

What engine and transmission ?

The pics are of an MGA with a Judson supercharger fitted. They were fitted to Corsairs, Spridgets, Sprites and Beetles in period, from late 50's on.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The pics are of an MGA with a Judson supercharger fitted. They were fitted to Corsairs, Spridgets, Sprites and Beetles in period, from late 50's on.
I remember back in the early 1970’s there was a sim lance of a club and there was a guy that took an iron head engine and was adapting a super charger from I think it was from a Pontiac starfire!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It so happens that Haddon Judson was an old acquaintance of mine, and the company had its manufacturing plant in nearby Conshohocken, PA . When he closed up shop he invited me for lunch and gifted me with a brand new Judson supercharger for one of my Sprites, along with a pile of spares and other goodies. It's destined to go onto my Morris Minor Traveler once I've completed the restoration.

The Judson supercharger is a vane-type blower and as such it's a wee bit noisy and requires an oiler. They can be tricky to fit to cars which they weren't made for, in that the diameters of the pulleys needs to be sorted so that the correct ratio is achieved. Having said that, they are pretty neat and do add a fair bit of bang to the performance, mostly in the bottom end.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi All,

Any thoughts good or bad gratefully received.

Thanks

Oliver

Oliver,

Looks to be a fun project. My only real concern would be the damper to crank connection which is problematic in stock form and usage. Trying to drive a supercharger without finding a way to improve and strengthen the damper/crank connection could prove to be a frustrating exercise.

Have fun,

Don

Limey

Donation Time
It so happens that Haddon Judson was an old acquaintance of mine, and the company had its manufacturing plant in nearby Conshohocken, PA . When he closed up shop he invited me for lunch and gifted me with a brand new Judson supercharger for one of my Sprites, along with a pile of spares and other goodies. It's destined to go onto my Morris Minor Traveler once I've completed the restoration.

The Judson supercharger is a vane-type blower and as such it's a wee bit noisy and requires an oiler. They can be tricky to fit to cars which they weren't made for, in that the diameters of the pulleys needs to be sorted so that the correct ratio is achieved. Having said that, they are pretty neat and do add a fair bit of bang to the performance, mostly in the bottom end.
Thanks Kevin, lucky you to get a new one! I researched an MGA owners site which has a good section on MGA/Judsons including converting to SU's. He to had to fettle some, especially the pulleys. I expect a pair of custom pulleys may be needed and I can see a mod or two on the inlet manifold. It will be an interesting project I think. Eminently 'do-able'

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver,

Looks to be a fun project. My only real concern would be the damper to crank connection which is problematic in stock form and usage. Trying to drive a supercharger without finding a way to improve and strengthen the damper/crank connection could prove to be a frustrating exercise.

Have fun,

Don
They were made to be bolt on and not to overstress any components. So far I have not picked up on any issues from owners. One has had one on his Sprite for 15 years. They made over 60,000 back in the day apparently and only generate 5.5lb boost so reliability will be fine tho' I expect a lot of fiddling will be required.