• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

jetting dcoe 40's...

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Noticed a photo on FB where plug lead No1 appears to come from distributor cap in 8 O'clock position........Alarm bells..
My bet is your "professional engine builder" has aligned the cam timing sprockets and wrongly assumed that position to be No1 TDC, when in fact its No4, you need to turn the engine through a further 360 degrees for No1 TDC.

Check the cam is properly timed before spending a Penny more!

Pete

#4 and #1 cyls are at the same crank position, plus the fact that it runs at all precludes other similar screw ups. Its possible that the timing chain is mis timed, its definite that the oil pump is mis timed, but this doesnt keep you from being able to run properly and make power.

djnippa

Donation Time
I've contacted www.kentcams.com who ground the cam.
They did the following:-
280 degree cam
8mm of cam lift (not valve)
16 thou clearance.
They also said, it is probably at the upper of the scale, fast-road/ mild competition specs.

I also asked the rolling road guy what the Ignition timing was at.
He said 10 degrees.

He has also said in all his years (40) he has never driven such a poor running car........... ever !!!

He has also kindly offered (If I drop it off with him for two days) to really look into it at his own leisure, and find what is wrong with it, as he has been racking his brains trying to work out why it's so dog rough.
Which is very nice of him.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Got specs on the cam?
Kent doesnt make sunbeam cams as a norm so its probably a special.

10 degrees?
Better find out what this means.
Idle timing is not really what counts here, what counts is getting the high load upper RPM timing to 31 or so degrees. The idle timing will be what it is (with the upper RPM high load timing set correctly).

What do the plugs say about their treatment?

As long as the rolling road operator isnt the past tuner, this probably can do no harm.

djnippa

Donation Time
Sorry I haven't got the specs from the cam. It's the standard 1725 rootes engine from 1966.

Apparently between 8-10degrees is OK. Andy at Kent Cams said if it was up in the 18-20 range, it would need serious attention.
I don't understand what this means "What do the plugs say about their treatment?"
The plugs are fine, if that's what you mean, perhaps a little hot. :)

It's not the original engineer/tuner who's did the engine, who's going to look at it. It's the same guy who did the Rolling Road on Thursday. He said he would like to spend a bit more time on it. He's certainly well qualified. I think he was just shocked that after doing some work on it, it still ran badly.
My feelings are from everyone I've asked than the cam timing gear is slightly out, and that perhaps the camshaft has been ground too much.

Thanks for all your help, you've been a world of knowledge.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Sorry I haven't got the specs from the cam. It's the standard 1725 rootes engine from 1966.

Apparently between 8-10degrees is OK. Andy at Kent Cams said if it was up in the 18-20 range, it would need serious attention.
I don't understand what this means "What do the plugs say about their treatment?"
The plugs are fine, if that's what you mean, perhaps a little hot. :)

It's not the original engineer/tuner who's did the engine, who's going to look at it. It's the same guy who did the Rolling Road on Thursday. He said he would like to spend a bit more time on it. He's certainly well qualified. I think he was just shocked that after doing some work on it, it still ran badly.
My feelings are from everyone I've asked than the cam timing gear is slightly out, and that perhaps the camshaft has been ground too much.

Thanks for all your help, you've been a world of knowledge.

When I talk about your plugs, I am looking for "color".

Your cam specs of 280 degrees (which must be lash to lash) and 8mm lobe lift is no where near what a stock 1725 cam would have been, therefore we cant really talk about it being from a stock 1725 and have it mean anything.
We would like to know the lobe centers (which must be near the 109 degree stock centers), the cam advance (if it exists) and the cam lobe overlap.
You can measure this or get the manufacturer to tell you what it is.
Without knowing this, we have no idea what to expect regarding how this engine should run in the lower RPM regimes, where the peak power might be or how the engine ought to idle.

I am not sure if you dont understand about ignition timing or the folks that you are having things done to your engine but ignition timing is a function, not a point (like 10 degrees is a point).
Making an engine "work" involves getting the timing function so that its endpoint (point where advance has stopped) puts the engine power at the peak power point without detonation.
On the rootes 1725 with 9.2/1 CR, this occurs at 30 to 32 degrees at 3500+ RPM.
Your distributor was likley built for stromberg fed engines, set to 6 or so degrees BTDC at idle. It will have an advance setup internal to the dizzy that says 12 or 13, which correlates to 12 of 13 max cam degrees advance before the advance hits its stops.
12 degrees cam is 24 degrees crank (13 would be 26).
Therefore, a "stock" distributor marked with a "12" internally would want its max timing set to 31 or so degrees, and if the dizzy is functioning to spec, you would have an idle timing of 7 degrees BTDC.
The idle timing is not super important because your engine wont work well in the region between your idle point and max advance timing.
Your engine is not stock, the ignition timing does not work like a stock engine needs and wants. In fact most race engines of the era used a locked out distributor set to the max advance timing (read up on Ak Miller).

We dont just set the ignition to 6,8 or 10 degrees and hope it works out becuase we dont really know how a 50 year old distributor functions with all its wear and tear and shadetree mechanics that have pre-loved our equipment.

BTW a properly modified distributor for "webers" will often only have 15 or so crank degrees of advance, which means the advance internal stop must have some metal added to it and stiffer advance springs fitted. No one uses the vacuum advance on webers becuase there is not a signal suitable coming from the carbs. Idle timing of 16 or so degrees and max timing of 31 will often yield excellent results becuase the VE of your engine is low at lower RPMs and the engine needs more timing till the engine gets on the cam.
This is also why race engines often dont mind having a fixed ignition timing since they need a lot of extra timing till the engine gets on the cam, and once there, the engine usually is not allowed to drop below the point where the advance stops would normally have been.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Too bad we have been left hanging by djnippa....

To add to this thread, I'm planning to install a Pair of Weber 40DCOE 34&35.

They have the long stacks and Aux venturis, (if there is room).

I also have access to a new pair of 151s, with the short stacks.

Back in the OLD days, Steve Alcala ran a pair of generic 40s with short stacks and what seems to be the "Norm" for a setup.

30 MM
120 mains
175 air
F16
45F8 idle

So the question is, has anyone tried the different stacks and Aux venturis?

And how much do they change the setup?

And how about them choke sizes.....

DW

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Too bad we have been left hanging by djnippa....

To add to this thread, I'm planning to install a Pair of Weber 40DCOE 34&35.

They have the long stacks and Aux venturis, (if there is room).

I also have access to a new pair of 151s, with the short stacks.

Back in the OLD days, Steve Alcala ran a pair of generic 40s with short stacks and what seems to be the "Norm" for a setup.

30 MM
120 mains
175 air
F16
45F8 idle

So the question is, has anyone tried the different stacks and Aux venturis?

And how much do they change the setup?

And how about them choke sizes.....

DW

With what could best be described as an E128 cam and stockish compression , I have found 30 or 32mm chokes a bit large and leaves an unfillable hole down low. I would search out a 27 or 28 mm choke set and it would probably run as nice as stock carbs.

Yeah you are leaving a few HP on the table but the wider torque band would probably still out run it to 4500 RPM.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I DO have some 28 mm chokes as well, so I WILL try them at some point.

But I expect WHEN I get near the power level I'm aiming for, I will end up with much bigger than 30s.

I think Dave is running 36s

Seeing a have the long stacks I'd like to try them, but it looks like the # 2 stack is way too close to the inter fender brace mount.

I REALLY would like to have a LINKAGE throttle and NOT use a cable.

Has anyone mastered that task? (pictures?)

I'd rather not reinvent the wheel....

DW

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I DO have some 28 mm chokes as well, so I WILL try them at some point.

But I expect WHEN I get near the power level I'm aiming for, I will end up with much bigger than 30s.

I think Dave is running 36s

Seeing a have the long stacks I'd like to try them, but it looks like the # 2 stack is way too close to the inter fender brace mount.

I REALLY would like to have a LINKAGE throttle and NOT use a cable.

Has anyone mastered that task? (pictures?)

I'd rather not reinvent the wheel....

DW

28s if you want to drive it, 34s if you want to race it.
At 36mm chokes you ought to be running 45s, not 40s.

I run the cable kit from redline with the throttle shaft synchronizer linkage.
I agree, the dual link throttle is superior to the single link cable setup but the cable is good
enough if the carbs arent floating on the soft mounts.
Neither dual link linkage or cable linkage stay synchronized very long unless you ditch the soft mounts.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yup, choke sizes are an interesting thing.

I hear the IMP guys like to run 30s for everything, street and track.

Then again, with an engine that small, you drive it like it's on the track even on the street...

Years ago I started gathering parts to put Webers on a Vintage Race Tiger.

It's easy to see what everyone is running for chokes, just by looking down the carb.

However, in this case, not so much!

The typical choke was SO BIG it was hard to see!

And then there were those that removed the numbers...

At first it looked like everyone was running WITHOUT chokes!

Then I finally found some carbs that had the choke sizes visible, even though they were hard to see.

They were running 45mm chokes in 48 carbs! (at least they were 48s at one time...)

So 45mm X 8 = what CFM? ....on a 289 ci engine.... sounds like a bit more than the "Book" calls for...

BTW, will 45 DCOEs bolt up in place of 40s?

...And, about them stack lengths...?

I'm going to be starting with the shorter ones just to be as safe from hitting as I can be.

DW

RootesRacer

Donation Time
BTW, will 45 DCOEs bolt up in place of 40s?

...And, about them stack lengths...?

DW

Yes, 40s and 45s share the same mounting pattern and length (48+ do not).
For stack lengths, Weber did make angled stacks, they are now hens teeth.

Longer is better IMO, we arent running 10000 RPM here.

If I could TIG, I would make me a set.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Allan if you have a holbay head.. flat tops.. you can recurve the dizzy as needed.. and if you dont enlarge the inlet ports and use the holbay manifold modified to run upright.. in theory the stock jetting should work.

Re: dizzy. Holbays came without a vacuum advance dizzy. Can/should that dizzy be used on non-Holbay spec engines?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Re: dizzy. Holbays came without a vacuum advance dizzy. Can/should that dizzy be used on non-Holbay spec engines?

The stock dizzys have too much mechanical advance for good light load pickup and proper full advance timing.
You can recurve them though and just not connect to the vacuum advance.
You only want about 15 degrees mechanical advance with a high compression and webers.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I recently swapped out my 151s for 34/35s and thought I'd share my jetting. This car has a H120 head (with opened up intakes), H120 cam, and 55 over pistons to 1780cc. 3o chokes. Everything was NOS when I got it - but that was 20 years ago now. I'm also running a distributor that was recurved with different weights and springs to run without vacuum. It is a Lotus curve. The 55 over was because that matched a Lotus size and my mechanic had a special design set of rings that he preferred. So the pistons were made to accept those rings.

The 151 Webers were running nicely with 115 main, F11 emulsion tubes, 200 air correction, 45 pump jet and 55F8 idle jets.
The 34/35s did not like H120 stock combo at all (1oo main, 140 air, F14 e tube, 45 F4 idle).
The 34/35s also did not like my 151 combo.
I ended up with 120 mains, F16 emulsion tubes, 140 air correction, 35 pump jet, and 55F8 jets.

Neither 151 nor 34/35 ran well with 45F9 idle jets - which seem to be the main goto for many applications.
I might order 50F9s to see how or if there is a difference to the 55F8s now in there.

But right now, I have no oddities, pops, spits, burbles in the current set up. I might try leaner air corrections - the next up I have is 170 and that caused the high end to miss on WOT. Right now it spins so fast to 6,000 rpm, that I don't know that I want it any faster!

I will say that the 151s definitely spit at odd times - which was what the 34/35 long auxiliary tubes were meant to address. And that is now gone. So kudos for that improvement.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
FWIW, I actually do have an odd thing. At really light throttle, probably where the butterflies are going through the transition holes, I get the lightest flutter. I went richer and leaner on the idle jets and played with leaning and richening the idle screws. I've got it minimized now, but not eliminated. Everything else is perfect. And I know the 34/35s are known to have "odd" transitions - perhaps what I'm experiencing is just that. I do believe the 151s have 3 transition holes, and the 34/35s have 2. Maybe I should try to drill a third. But I'm not going to any time soon.