• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Jacking up the front

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
I'm trying to work out the best place to jack the front of the car. From what I've read from previous posts the wishbones seem to be the best choice, but looking at mine I can't see any compatible surface - directly under the spring is not possible as the bottom bolt protrudes too far down and nothing else looks substantial enough. Could someone please let me know the exact position to jack (I use a trolley jack).

Also, is it safe to jack directly under the centre of the front crossmember as I know I'm going to need to jack the whole front end soon.....

Cheers!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm still looking for the best place to lift from under the wishbones. I can tell you it is fine to lift from under the center of the crossmember. If you are using a trolley jack, that IS THE place to lift the front of the car.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong for my car, but I jack it all the time under that crossmember, and I have for many, many years... my car still drives down the road in a straight line!

BeachBeam

Donation Time
That's where I've been jacking mine from for numerous years. Matter of fact, It's up right now, with 2 4x6's , just to play it safe.

howard

Donation Time
I agree with Bill- the middle crosspiece is an excellent place to lift. Just beware of the jack and don't let it slip. I had this problem recently when I had the rear already up- the front wanted to slip off the jack.

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Thanks for the responses guys! I couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't use the crossmember, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to damage anything. The wishbone idea seems like a good one, but with no flat/useable surface I don't see how this can be done.