• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

It's to laugh: February

Nickodell

Donation Time
Speaking of biofuel-powered cars:

Thefuture-gasat6agallonR.jpg

Pumpkin

Donation Time
To laugh

Fellows and all

Several years ago, I lived in a logging town , yep in Oerygone. A guy there had a small tank and a rubber raft on the top of an old "buick or olds" and he filled it with ,,yep " filled it with materials from his outside toilet and chicken droppings.:eek: :eek:
Now this apparatus was strapped down and with the heat of the day his "tanks" would generate some godgawuful smelling stuff . He was trying to make a converter for methane.. He would drive all over that poor town trying to make it go..

I am glad moved 20+ years ago, so I wouldn't see what happened. Heard it crashed.. don't know..

Well a story from the past and future engineers.
Chuck

Nickodell

Donation Time
Fellows and all

Several years ago, I lived in a logging town , yep in Oerygone. A guy there had a small tank and a rubber raft on the top of an old "buick or olds" and he filled it with ,,yep " filled it with materials from his outside toilet and chicken droppings.:eek: :eek:
Now this apparatus was strapped down and with the heat of the day his "tanks" would generate some godgawuful smelling stuff . He was trying to make a converter for methane.. He would drive all over that poor town trying to make it go..

I am glad moved 20+ years ago, so I wouldn't see what happened. Heard it crashed.. don't know..

Well a story from the past and future engineers.
Chuck

Back in Britain in WWII, every drop of petroleum came by tanker, either from the USA (the majority) or from the Persian Gulf via Suez and the Mediterranean, and thousands of merchant seamen paid with their lives bringing it. There was no, repeat NO petrol (gasoline) for private use from 1940 until 1946 (and after 1946 it was strictly rationed). Doctors and district nurses receive just enough to do their jobs, but the rest went to the military.

This prompted a weird collection of alternative fuels. You would see ordinary saloon (sedan) cars driving along with a rubberized canvas balloon on the roof. This was filled overnight with ordinary household gas, the engine being modified to use it, and the driver could tell how much was still in his "tank" by occasionally stopping to check the state of inflation. Some buses pulled behind them a trailer with a kind of coke brazier glowing, and a water tank on top. The brazier heated a small boiler and the staem passed through the coke and into the engine, also suitably modified. If you remember your high school chemistry, passing steam through red hot coke produces water gas, which is largely hydrogen and carbon monoxide.

In addition, some steam-powered lorries (trucks) that had long been retired were brought out and used. I remember the thrill of being hoisted up, at the age of 7 or 8, onto the "footplate" of one of these, which had a coal-fired furnace exactly like a steam locomotive, and being driven a mile or so.

The overall speed limit for the country was either 30 or 40 mph, can't recall which, but this was no great hardship as few of these alternative-fuel vehicles could exceed 30 anyhow.