• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

It's Alive- Thanks to all

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
My modified SV is on the road again! Finally. After 12 months of thinking, 6 months of planning and 20 months of doing,today I put 10 miles on it.

It has:
Chevy rods- thanks Jim Stone, Ian, and many others
Venolia custom Pistons - Thanks Steve
Bored out to 3.248" (that's a standard 82.5 mm - easy to get rings) Thanks Jarrid
Stroked to 3.35" - Thanks to many
Vizard mod - I did it myself -Thanks Jim Ellis for the plans. Thanks to many for the encouragement.
Delta KB cam - Thanks to many suggestions
Weber 32/36 - Thanks Nick for the Idle jet tuning using Model RR drills
Lightened flywheel.
3 row radiator.

Thanks Ian, Jim Stone, Jim Ellis for your articles and posts on rebuilding an Alpine engine. Thanks to all who answered all my questions about pistons, rings, cranks, valves, lifters, oil, bearings, carbs, compression, etc.

Yeeeeeehaaaaa! Can't wait to drive it to work on Monday.

Tom

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Congratulations... sounds like quite an accomplishment.. How 'bout a few pictures ?
Have a great drive to work on Monday.... why not just drive on by and go for a day trip somewhere:D You've GOT to be itching for a cruise.

Enjoy, Tom j

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, and big thanks to Jan, for his Tedder project, his list of parts and services and prices for rebuilding an engine, and his frequent advice. Back in Aug 2005 he posted prices he would expect (or has paid) for just about every part and every service required in rebuilding a 1725. This was in response to someone who asked about rebuild costs. I printed that post and used it as a guide - partly a pricing guide, but more as a check list. I think my costs came out close to his.

Tom J, sounds like a good idea, maybe I will. But the real plan is the West Coast trip planned for next Summer. Cleveland to CA, by way of Colorado and British Columbia.

Thanks,

Tom

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Tom
Now that you are on the road again you can plan another big trip.
You should be able to just cruise all the way here again.No alternator problems and no bumper wanting to fall off.
Way to go

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Chuck,

Not sure about getting to Winipeg. Bob and I are planning to do a repeat of another segment of our 1965 trip. Plan is to go to Colorado next summer with Dave, Kate, Tim and Tom (another, newer grandson), then head up, just Bob and I, to Calgary and continue the trip to Vancouver, Seattle, Mt Rainier, Crater Lake, SF, and back to Colorado. Any interest in joining us in the Canadian Rockies?

Jim, Yeah it feels great. The acceleration is smooth and the motor feels much quicker, smoother and more powerful. But it seems the valve rocker noise is more than I remember. That's a problem with having no Alpine for 3 years. You get used to the quiet power of a modern V6. But Noooo, I am not moving to the Dark Side!

I'll post later some interesting things I found out about the oil pressure. And I'll post some pics of the motor as I assembled it.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Chuck,

Not sure about getting to Winipeg. Bob and I are planning to do a repeat of another segment of our 1965 trip. Plan is to go to Colorado next summer with Dave, Kate, Tim and Tom (another, newer grandson), then head up, just Bob and I, to Calgary and continue the trip to Vancouver, Seattle, Mt Rainier, Crater Lake, SF, and back to Colorado. Any interest in joining us in the Canadian Rockies?

Jim, Yeah it feels great. The acceleration is smooth and the motor feels much quicker, smoother and more powerful. But it seems the valve rocker noise is more than I remember. That's a problem with having no Alpine for 3 years. You get used to the quiet power of a modern V6. But Noooo, I am not moving to the Dark Side!

I'll post later some interesting things I found out about the oil pressure. And I'll post some pics of the motor as I assembled it.

Tom

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Tom
It would be nice to head out again.We had good friends who lived in Peachland BC that we used to drive the 62 out to.Unfortunatly he had both knees done and complications set in and they moved back to be with family.Now he is in a nursing home and is a prisoner in his body.
You know our situation and we do try but it is so hard even after 2 years.However we are setting our sites on Rapid city for Suni 5.Its pretty close to home only being 760 or so miles.
Enjoy your car and trips.
My 62 has now 650 miles on the Ford racing 302 and it is so sweet.
Give our regards to your family.It was great when you were here.