• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Isuzu-Hillmans

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I find it kind of bizarre that in all those adverts there's not a single Asian face, yet that was their target market... go figure!

I wonder if they still have engine parts and such in forgotten warehouses?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ah.. so. ;) I see at the bottom there are a couple of them. That Minx is beautiful. I see a bunch of Nippondenso bits under the bonnet - I suppose they used those instead of Lucas where they could. Also, I wonder if the car was converted to metric fasteners, or if it was a mix?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I find old ads, auto and otherwise, taken out of context, are hysterical....:D

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The "New Gay Look". That will get you in trouble now!!!

Yeah, particularly as she's pointing to her very own little rainbow-fan color chart as well.

I think maybe that "New Gay Look" was in reference to their "Californian" model... seems to me that one came with a bud vase, softer suspension, matching designer luggage, and a 'unique' dip stick which was located in the boot. ;)

1809523.jpg

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Really? Bud vase and luggage! That would be cool to find. Ha Ha, maybe not, thought about buying a Humber Super Snipe last summer, the look my wife gave me was amazing.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Yeah, particularly as she's pointing to her very own little rainbow-fan color chart as well.

I think maybe that "New Gay Look" was in reference to their "Californian" model... seems to me that one came with a bud vase, softer suspension, matching designer luggage, and a 'unique' dip stick which was located in the boot. ;)

1809523.jpg

Seems to me, if you read between the lines, they may have been 50yrs ahead of their time.:eek:
(wanted to write something else, but might have been considered political.)
Funny Ads
Ron

lemansvk

Donation Time
That Minx is beautiful. I see a bunch of Nippondenso bits under the bonnet - I suppose they used those instead of Lucas where they could. Also, I wonder if the car was converted to metric fasteners, or if it was a mix?

They started out basically as a CKD operation, using all imported parts (except tyres, battery) but within 4 years (1957) they were building the whole thing in Japan - one of the conditions set by the Japanese government was a move to local production. I don't know if they ended up using metric fasteners on the Hillmans - Isuzu certainly used metric on their own cars (like the Bellett) which came out in 1963 - a Bellett engine is hard to visually distinguish from a Minx one, but has slightly different bore/stroke (and of course metric fasteners).

My personal favourite is the Hillman Express estate - very different to the Rootes Minx estate; 2 doors, side opening tailgate, sliding rear passenger windows and check the split on the front seat, not down the middle but 1/3 over on drivers side.

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/...ction=view&current=smallIsuzu62EstateCrop.jpg

Vic

lemansvk

Donation Time
It would be interesting to know how the build quality compared to the UK cars.

Tony,

A report by a British "Autocar" journalist from 1958 says that build quality (by then) had reached European standards (although Japan could still not build cars as cheaply).

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tony,

A report by a British "Autocar" journalist from 1958 says that build quality (by then) had reached European standards (although Japan could still not build cars as cheaply).

"Reached European build standards" I love British humor, it is subtle.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor

Ummm... just for the record (and for those who missed my attempt at humor)... I *was* just kidding. There was no designer luggage, bud vases or special dip sticks. (*sigh*)

In truth, the Californian model was just a more sporty 2-door coupe version of the Minx, with a 'B' pillar that wound down along with the windows for a more open view for the rear passengers.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I remember reading years ago that the Californian was built in order to use up large numbers of convertible body shells that were not selling. Not sure if that is true. In the early sixties I had a 1949 Minx which was probably one of the first post-war cars that Rootes built. It had a side valve engine and the overall finish was sparse to say the least.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time

Oh Kevin, not you too.........

Surely the last thing we'd want to do is cause offence to any same sex attracted members of the forum..... and just for the record, I'm gay AND I own a Hillman Californian. Riddle me that, Batman.

Stereotypes aside, I think you'll find the "reference" was to the "attractive two-tone color schemes available on THREE models with harmonising interior upholstery". There, my work here is done............;)

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I don't know if Californians came as ragtops. The only one I've seen was an ultra-low mileage hardtop here in the Seattle area. Deep red over light yellow. It was definitely not spartan. The dash had a very contemporary '50s American look to it - very sharp.

I remember reading years ago that the Californian was built in order to use up large numbers of convertible body shells that were not selling. Not sure if that is true. In the early sixties I had a 1949 Minx which was probably one of the first post-war cars that Rootes built. It had a side valve engine and the overall finish was sparse to say the least.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I really like our Hillman IIIC.... I would love to find an Estate version..
We've had a great time with it this summer.

Over the holiday's I hope to swap to an Alpine's 1600 that has been modified a bit.

Steve