• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Is this one of the members here? Nice car!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
See:

http://www.triumphexperience.com/phorum/read.php?8,852019,page=1

b.jpg

l.jpg

g.jpg

j.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
john also restored a beautiful red alpine with black hardtop and wires + whitewalls.. he has also recebtly been clearing out some nice NOS parts on ebay.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Is that the basket case Lemans he bought a couple of years ago? If so, beautiful job. Next time I'm in the Bay Area visiting my parents, I'm going to have to invite myself around and have a look in person. ;)

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

it's the car that was in tiger tom's shop for a few decades. it was a bare shell in primer when john bought it. scott woerth did a lot of body work to the car somewhere back in the late 70's or early 80's. it looked to have epoxy primer on it all those years. tom offered it to us prior to john buying it. we decided not to buy it since we were knee deep into the restoration of the 69GT and also had another car at tiger auto plus we had two other lemans. it did have MANY boxes of nos rare parts with it. i think the before photos are of the car prior to scott woerth doing his magic to the body. my red lemans was to be a donor car for this car but tom ended up selling it to us in 1982. there were a few conditions to selling me my car. the seat frames needed reproduced using one of my seats for a pattern as was the harrington emblem on the glove box door. john has done a great job of restoring it.

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
Yeh Bob,
I considered also TT's ca at the time. Also had enough really on my plate to tackle another one. The list of NOS parts to go with it was lengthy.
Glad to see the outcome here.
Robert

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi Guys. Yes that's mine.
I'm sorry I'm a little behind on keeping you all up to date on the progress. I was barreling along, and then I herniated my disc L3/L4, so I've not been allowed in the garage...wife's orders... for a couple of months now. I'm feeling better each day, and itching to get back to it.
Those pics were from some time ago, I'll post some updated ones soon.
I'm wrapping it up now, new brake lines, fuel line, just restored the fuel tank etc. Hoping to have it on the road very soon.

Thanks for the encouragement.

John.

napa 1

Donation Time
Also, should make a confession, that I've defected...but only temporarily..and have a 69 Triumph GT6 sitting in the driveway patiently waiting to be the next project. But...I'm a Sunbeam guy through and through, and always will be.
Couldn't resist the little GT6 when it was offered to me. Makes me appreciate the fit and finish and build quality of the Harrington even more.

Rich, yes please do stop by next time you're in the bay area!

Attachments

• i.jpg
    i.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 38

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Very cool GT6. As an ex GT6 guy (email, GT6Triumph@gmail.com) I can appreciate. Easy to work on and restore. Good parts guy is Spitbits in California. I highly recommend Nigel who owns it. There is a fellow, name escapes me, who makes a camber compensator. Don't leave home without it. Old Brit joke, Do you know why the GT6 is rounded at the rear? So that it slips through the hedge easier! (You would have to lose one to appreciate!) If you hot rod it, there is not a Ferrari in the world that can beat the sound of that six at high RPM's...

napa 1

Donation Time
Yes, one difference with restoring this one is parts are plentiful and inexpensive..so that will be nice for a change. Funny, it's such a little car, it makes the Harrington seem big. I've placed an order already with spit bits, also bpnorthwest. I'll ask on the triumph forum about that compensator..although I think the gt6+, which I have, has the improved handling.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
That is a very early model, at least the body looks that way. The handling never really improved until they went to the "swing spring" very late in the model life. Someone may have converted it, you can look at the diff and see but I doubt it. The only time the handling is bad is a quick multiple change of direction maneuver (right left right). The swing axle cannot reset. They are like a Porsche, once you decide on a line, that is pretty much it.
Speaking of early models, the first few had a different motor than the later ones.
The early head has the intake and exhaust ports even and the later had them somewhat staggered if I remember right. Parts are easy for the later, next to impossible for the early.

napa 1

Donation Time
Its a Mk 2 model, but somewhere along the way someone put a mk 1 bonnet on it.

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 33

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
If for some reason you have a door that is needing replacement, give me a shout. I have a brand new skin laying around the house somewhere from my old one. I think it is the driver side. Be glad to give it to you. Also have two rear axles with uprights and drums and a rear hatch. Amazing what you accumulate over time!

napa 1

Donation Time
My apologies Jan. Just comparing the virtues of the Fabulous Harrington, to those of the lowly Triumph gt6, since I'm working on both concurrently. ;). We'll take this discussion off the forum and turn things back over to Harrington only material.

I'm going to post a picture shortly of the amp, volt and vacuum gauges that Paul Breuhan made for me in the Jaeger style for my Harrington. Just spectacular.

65beam

Donation Time
nice

i thought harrington converted some TR's. i remember parking the red car next to a red DOVE at pittsburgh several years ago. they drew quite a crowd. all in the family! i remember when byers started selling the GT 6 i decided i wanted one. i was 6' 3" and 180 at the time and i didn't fit. when i first met bruney and drove his car i said i wanted one. it took me a few years to get one but when TT told us what he wanted for the red car i had to have it. when 65 sunbeam had the GT6 at his house a few years back i found out i really don't fit now. the GT6 is a neat car. i once asked the owner of a shop that used to restore sunbeams if he could make a tilt nose on the harrington. i won't repeat his response.

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Yes, Harrington Ltd converted approx 50 copies of GTR 4 and 5 GTR 4A. Most of them spring -63. Had nothing to do with the GT 6.
Today some of them have been converted back to normal TR 4.

65beam

Donation Time
car

the DOVE' brings a large price today. i have seen a few here in the states. don't know how many are here but there was a blue one that showed up at watkins glen a couple years back. i just like the style of the GT6. it reminds me of the lemans. i wish i had kept all the cars i had when in my teens and 20's. one car i really liked was the fiat 1500 R. can't say much for the opel GT, the other fiats ,mg, etc. dad drew the line when i tried to talk him into buying a sprite.