• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Is there a "SOURCE" for 1963 front suspension parts ?

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
1963 front suspension parts ? Lower Ball Joints/Link Pins, (whatever they are ? ) upper and lower Bushings ? I don't see Anyone listing parts for 1963, only 65 up ! HELP ! :)

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
A few years ago, before I lost my SII in a fire, I decided it was a lot easier and cheaper to upgrade it's suspenion to SV:
Parts available - check
Cheaper - check
Easier - check
Better - maybe, mabe not

If I had an early series today, I'd just upgrade but I am a driver (when I have an operational car) not an originality guy.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
BUT THEN, Don't the CONTROL ARMS, SPINDLES, brakes and everything else need to be changed ? trying to do do this on a budget.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Fonz, in theory the complete front end swap is easier if you find one in good condition with only consumables required. The parts for later front ends are cheaper and easier to replace.

If rebuilding the early fromt end sunbeam specialties and classic sunbeam usually have the early style ball joints and king pins and bushes..

If not speedy spares in the UK carry them and you often find the parts NOS on ebay UK.

Ive rebuilt earlier front end.. If you keep them greased properly they will outlast the later style and in theory handle slightly better ...but many have not been kept to the regulat maintenance schedule

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
IS THERE A VIDEO ONLINE ON hOW TO DISASSEMBLE THE LOWER KING PINS ? I've got the NUTS off, tried getting it all red hot, and pb blaster, do the threaded horizontal rods, get Screwed out ? there is a flat side on one end of them. can't even find a decent Exploded view of the assembly. Help please. thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
Fonz, the WSM goes through the process, take your time and follow the instructions.

Same goes for reassembly some of the parts must be final tightened when loaded.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Work Shop Manual. Rootes issued these for the sunbeams. I think people have uoloaded copies online if you do a web search

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
BUT THEN, Don't the CONTROL ARMS, SPINDLES, brakes and everything else need to be changed ? trying to do do this on a budget.
Yes, they do. I found a complete SV front crossmember for about $100. A lot of it was ok. Spent money on those things that needed fixing.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
what is involved with installing a "rack & pinion" into a alpine ? ( as far as the steering arms go?), I realize they have to point frontwards for the rack to work. Can they be flipped around ? side to side? Is there a tutorial, without having to find TIGER suspension parts ??? Thanks

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, they do. I found a complete SV front crossmember for about $100. A lot of it was ok. Spent money on those things that needed fixing.
a full front suspension for '65 up for $100 ?! I'd like to find that deal

alpine_64

Donation Time
what is involved with installing a "rack & pinion" into a alpine ? ( as far as the steering arms go?), I realize they have to point frontwards for the rack to work. Can they be flipped around ? side to side? Is there a tutorial, without having to find TIGER suspension parts ??? Thanks

Installing a tiger system apart from the expense is a retrograde step. The Tiger has very poor steering geometry because of the location of the rack to clear the v8.

Some people have installed mazd and morris minor and subaru racks.. But that is usually sone as part of an engine swap for clearance.

A complete front x member out of any 1964-68 rootes audaux bodied car or alpine would work for you.

There is a late series alpine with a front left guard cut off for $400 listed on the site... That would give you a full front end and full Synchro box/ rear end too....

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Fonz,

You need some special tools and a good arbor press to properly disassemble an early front end. You also need to take some very careful measurements to make sure you can get everything back together properly.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Fonz,

You need some special tools and a good arbor press to properly disassemble an early front end. You also need to take some very careful measurements to make sure you can get everything back together properly.
I pressure washed everything, removed all the nuts/bolts, heated it up cherry red, put on alot of pb blaster, and YES, it definitely needs a" press"

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
"I found a complete SV front cross member for about $100. A lot of it was ok." HAS ANYONE GOT A '65 UP FRONT SUSPENSION TO SELL, not too far from Fla ??(shipping). Thanks