• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Invasion XVI, what we learned and what's next

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Several attendees have approached us to discuss the Invasion. As we said, they approached us, so we think the comments can be taken as genuine.

Things they liked:

The small turnout.
The back roads.
The food. Both quality and price.
The impromptu stop at an unusual historical site.
The lack of traffic.
The "follow the leader" type of touring.
Rear axle tech session.

Things we learned from these discussion:
A car show is not important.
Parts room is not essential.
A banquet is not necessary.
The traditional "goody" bag would not be missed.
There is an impromptu car show at every stop.
Somebody always arrives in serious need of a tech session.
The minimum number of Sunbeams for a successful gathering is "Two".
Simple is best.
Friendship is paramount.

With all that in mind, we have decided we will host another event. Just what type of event this is, we don't know. But we can describe it.

There will be no:
Registration fee.
Registration.
Car show.
Awards.
Meetings.
Parts or hospitality room.
Banquet.
Interstate driving beyond the first available exit. Hopefully, none at all.
Gravel roads.

There will be:

Eating at outstanding (and reasonably priced) small, locally owned restaurants.

Stops at local points of interest.

Driving on back roads or "interesting" State roads. The general theme is "If this road is on your map, we're probably lost".

Adverse going. If your car has low hanging exhaust or your copilot is prone to car sickness, you probably should pass on this one.

You will have to notify us (names and car) so we can prepare name tags.

Limited participation. In order to make this work, we need a limited number of cars and diners. We can't do this with 30 cars and 50 people. A fair and effective way to control size is to put a limit on the number of rooms being held. A block of 12 rooms has been held. That should result in about 12 cars and 20 people. You will arrive in Greensburg on Monday, June 19, with departure on Friday the 23rd.

This is being done independently. It is not an Invasion and is not intended to replace an Invasion. We think we will call it "Friends In Sunbeams".

Stay tuned.

Bill and Barb

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nice thoughts. Interesting aspect.

Bill&Barb are great Sunbeamers'.... Having just went thru (Hosted) The Invasion in Greensburg, Indiana they are up to date on some of the things needed to make a gathering work.

Distance, expense, varying family situations, time to participate, timing of events will always play a part in what is proposed.

But, They (Bill&Barb) might have something here that will work.

Why? Maybe the limited number of cars and people? Don't know. Back roads, Yep! Little places of interest, Yep! Friendly gatherings? Yep! Very interesting aspect to this proposal.

Hope it draws to full capacity the enjoyment of all.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I think you are on to something, Bill. I was sorry to have missed this year's Invasion, but when I think about past Invasions the things that stand out most for me are:
  • Camaraderie. Just being able to hang out with other Alpine owners.
  • Getting greasy together. Most of us work on our cars in isolation most of the time. Being able to work together, or even just have others around for consultation, is always a highlight of an Invasion for me. (Said differently, there is a reason the all-night thrash to replace Todd Norby's engine has become the stuff of legend.)
  • Driving! My all-time favorite memories of Invasions are simply driving together. I don't remember which Invasion it was, but I can remember a long caravan through winding country roads and a quaint little historic town where all of the tourists stopped to watch our caravan go by. Driving is good!
The only place I might disagree with you is on the value of the parts room. It doesn't have to be formal, but - at least for me - the opportunity to pick up a bargain and avoid eBay is always a big draw.

You almost make me sorry I don't live in St. Louis anymore!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you, Dan and Jim. Jim, we accept New Yawkers - we even have friends from Georgia!! If more than six rooms are reserved, we will get a small room that could accommodate a few parts. I plan to take a couple of kits. They may remain in the trunk, who knows. It would probably be best to have prearranged sales.

Each day we will take a leisurely journey to a different (small) city. Take in the sights, have lunch and return to Greensburg for supper. Tuesday will be Connersville, Wednesday will be Madison and Thursday will be Columbus. Depart on Friday. Hardliners may want to go accompany us to Connersville Friday for a great BBQ lunch.

Hotel arrangements
Arrive Monday, June 19 Depart Friday, June 23
Quality Inn & Suites
(812) 663-9998
Two Queens or Single King. Special rate of $60 plus tax.
Currently, about half the rooms have a Microwave, specify if you need one.

The block of rooms are held under the name "Sunbeam". If you have difficulty, ask for Tim. These are local arrangements. Corporate reservation services will be useless.

After making your reservations, shoot us an email, giving us the names of the participants and particulars of your car.

Oh yes, want to attend but don't have a drivable Sunbeam? NO PROBLEM. Come and join in, you will be one of the 12 cars. We have been there and done that. It is a great motivator.

Bill and Barb
weblue@comcast.net
(765) 309-3567

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's on !!

Allan was having trouble making his hotel reservation. After a few phone calls back and forth with the hotel manager, the system now works. Just tell the clerk you want one of the block of rooms reserved under the name "Sunbeam". That worked for me. Thanks to Allan for being the pioneer.

So it is official - we have one attendee, which means "Friends In Sunbeams" will happen!

We have twelve rooms reserved, Barb and I have one, so there are rooms for ten more. Better hurry, they are going FAST!! (lol)

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I'm going to try to make this one. Hope to learn a bunch in order to help other events.

Nice work guys.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm going to try to make this one. Hope to learn a bunch in order to help other events.

Nice work guys.

Really?? I will be sure to have a personalized "Long Distance" award ready for anyone driving over 1500 miles! Maybe it will just say WOW!!

Bill