• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Invasion XVI organizers needed!

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
We announced the 2015 Invasion is not going to happen. Unfortunately we were not able to get the proper organization going.

That said, let’s make Invasion XVI happen! We need to get started now. If you're interested in hosting an Invasion next year please speak up.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have discussed this at some length with Barb and we are willing to host an Invasion. Tentative location: Batesville, Indiana. Great roads and good amenities, but not a scenic powerhouse.

We know this is far from being ideal, both location and organizers.

But it is an honest offer and I hope it encourages discussion about where, when and what should be part of an Invasion. Also counter offers. Did someone say Smokies? Whatever you do, please don't fling me into that Briar Patch!

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Okay, Barb finds my post to be confusing. So here is what I meant to say.

We am very willing to support others doing an Invasion in another location. We'd love to see one done in the Smokies.

Bill

Alpine66

Donation Time
Generous offer Bill, and a good start.

I could do a Hoosier trip, it has a rich auto history and places like the auburn cord duesenberg museum, think the Studebaker museum too, of course Indy....Im sure there are a lot more attractions Im unaware of.

Cant not say Atlanta would also be a good choice, with the attractions in the city and the mountains with all kinds of twisties and a good number of us here too.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Bill, I know you suggested Indiana last year as a back up, and I appreciate that. Unfortunately we thought the West Coast things was viable until it was too late.

So far yours is the only offer for 2016. I think Batesville would be fun. Smokies would be great too.

However, it really comes down to a serious commitment to host and organize the Invasion. Several people have done it in the past and know what's involved. The "home office" can help to some extent but we really need a local person or committee to make it happen.

dmich2

Donation Time
I love the idea of the Smokies!. Near Pigeon Forge. Gambling...etc. Once I saw Bill's suggestion I googled British Car Clubs. Guess what. Here's a link to a club having their gathering next spring. Townsend Tn is about 30 mins SW of Pigeon Forge.

http://www.blountbritishcars.org/gathering.htm

So, in keeping with why we call them 'Invasions" why not have Todd contact their Prez and see if they'd mind a few Sunbeams turning up. A lot of the work will be done. And I'm betting they'll help us out. We only need to look into a host hotel for 'beamers and some fun things to do while we're there.

Dennis

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Click on the pictures of past shows - last year someone brought a very nice-looking Series 2 Rapier convertible.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Organizers needed, not location suggestions

All of the suggestions are great, but I need to emphasize it does no good to suggest we hold an Invasion somewhere or in conjunction with some event unless you are willing to do the organization and planning to make it happen. We will not be managing the entire Invasion from the "home office".

If you want an Invasion in your area then volunteer to host it. If you want an Invasion somewhere else specific, volunteer to organize and host it or convince someone in that area to organize and host it. If you think it might be something you'd like to tackle and want to know what's involved we can get input and advice from others who have hosted an Invasion in the past. There are a few threads discussing it, but if anyone wants more info ask away.

So far Bill is the only one who has actually volunteered, as of right now it is looking like Invasion XVI will be in Indiana.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Not in Tulsa, OK

:) Seemed like a great ideal middle of the USA, host was a on the ball making it happen. I would wager the smallest number to attend a Invasion was 2006 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Lots of notice for dates of Invasion, low cost other then travel to get too Tulsa and a total of 43 attendees with less then 10 rootes cars. Weather turned hotter then normal we hit 100 degrees on Saturday during a car show on the tarmac. Like you can plan on such freaky weather conditions 1st week of June. Host moved to Florida were it's not as hot in the summer normally, hard to believe, but true. I don't see the bulk of our Sunbeam Alpine world making it to central Florida for an invasion. For Sunbeam Alpines the cluster of cars is more central to the Ohio area. The rest is East coast, West coast which makes it impossible for most to drive across America to an Invasion. Indiana sounds like a excellent place to me and will be well attended as it has always been in the past. Thank you Bill and Barb for volunteering, I know first hand how much work an Invasion really is!

Donna

:D

mikephillips

Donation Time
You're right Todd, people need to step up if they want one. I've helped with the prior midwest Invasions, if my schedule allows I'll help Bill as I've gotten good at doing registration... My hope had been that a western Invasion would allow the guys who are too far away from the Midwest a chance to meet and participate in a group activity so even though it was too far away for me to get to Las Vegas I really wanted to see it succeed. All we can do at this point is learn from the experience and hope next year runs smoother. And remember that there's no reason why you can't also attend TE/AE or CAT's events as well or instead, if the SAOCA event is too far away to make it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Agony of an Organizer

My offer to have an Invasion in Batesville was based on information gathered for Invasion V, as well as Todd and Ann Marie's excellent experience at the Sherman House when their Alpine expired on the way back from North Carolina. I decided to update my information.

SURPRISE!!

The Sherman House is closed and up for sale. The Sherman House is only about 150 years old, so I suppose it is not fair to think it would be around forever. Anyway, it closed this past January. No problem, I said, we'll just hop up to the interstate and use one of the modern motels. Modern seems to mean no meeting room, unless you want to use the breakfast area. So Batesville is out.

Right now, it appears we can move to Greensburg, about 20 miles from Batesville. Greensburg is a nice little city, but has nothing to compare to the Sherman House, the roads or area restaurants.

Bill