• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Invasion XV 2015 organizers needed

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
If we are going to have an Invasion in 2015 we urgently need to get started on the organization.

We're looking for someone to step up and agree to host the 2015 Invasion.

It is really not all that much work. Find a hotel, possibly get a group rate. Coordinate with a local car show or organize a very informal SAOCA Invasion car show, arrange awards. Come up with a few events, such as scenic drives or tourist destination visits, nothing elaborate required.

We have people that can give advice, help with the registration, help with awards and provide support but we need an organizer(s).

How about returning to the SW Ohio area – Dayton, or finally a west coast Invasion: LA, Pacific NW, Vegas?

Come on, someone step forward!

Last edited:

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Been there done that!

:rolleyes: Not a lot of work, disagree. Is it priceless, yes. ;) I don't even have my Vicki the Alpine not sure when things will change so I can bring her down to central Florida. That's the other key here location, location, location. When I hosted it in Tulsa, Oklahoma middle of the US we had less of attendance then when it is hosted in Ohio, the center of Sunbeam owners world. We have missed attending way to many years, between lost vacation days, (no time off work) relocating to Florida and now cashed strapped. Is this not the way it always is you either have the money and no time or all the time and no money!
I hope we get a volunteer!

Donna
:D

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, I will be retired, or at least semi-retired in 15 and living in Vegas (Henderson) and would be happy to organize the event. The key to hosting it in Vegas would be time of year. The heat would prove to be deadly on these old cars if hosted in mid June-July-August.
Let me know what you are thinking.

Paul

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow. Henderson. Where the rich and famous congregate. I spent a week in Lake Las Vegas about ten years ago. The Ritz Carlton had an event center built out over the lake that would be more than roomy enough for cars and all. The heat was very dry and tolerable. I wonder if dry heat would be the same to a car as humid heat? Best Invasion I've been to was IV organized by Jan at the Dayton Air Force Museum. That facility was stunning. Albeit, the host hotel (I've forgotten the name) was the polar opposite of any Ritz anywhere. I loved the people I met in Ohio. Maybe it's just Dayton, but the people there are just really good people.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Southern Nevada?!?! Cool! I'd bet you'd get massive attendance from the SoCal and Arizona members.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Even though it is unlikely that I'd be able to attend, I think it would be terrific to have an Invasion in the West. After all, this isn't SAOCE and to my knowledge, we've never been farther west than Oklahoma.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Well, I will be retired, or at least semi-retired in 15 and living in Vegas (Henderson) and would be happy to organize the event. The key to hosting it in Vegas would be time of year. The heat would prove to be deadly on these old cars if hosted in mid June-July-August.
Let me know what you are thinking.

Paul

Paul,

It would be great to finally hold a more westerly located Invasion. I don't have any specifics in mind, other than using previous Invasions as a suggested starting point.

Some usual logistics efforts include:
+Determine a good date (as you mentioned, Vegas would need to be early or late, but if it's early we need to get moving!)
+Finding a "host" hotel, possibly negotiating room rates
+Finding a car show site (invade an existing car show is fun if possible, but not required. Most Invasion car shows have been SAOCA only affairs.)
+Finding a location and organizing the wrap up banquet
+Handling registrations (we have handled this from the "central office" for some Invasions)
+Planning some events, such as scenic drives, poker run, scenic destinations: simple touristy type stuff involving driving somewhere.
+Making a schedule

I'm sure previous Invasion organizers will be happy to lend advice. We can help us much as possible, but we really need someone local to lead as it is very hard to do some of this remotely. I could organize a hotel but not knowing the area it might be in a pretty bad part of town.

Maybe some previous organizers can add their 2 cents about the effort required and what's involved?

Last edited:

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mr Paul, If you can pull this off, this has the potential to be the king daddy of all Invasions. The hotels are so good they'll probably comp Doug Jennings. It's Vegas however, so the cost is more than reasonable yet the service is so good you will not want for anything. Vegas itself is a skyline in the distance. Scenic drives? How about the Hover Dam. The scenery getting there is breathtaking. Henderson is of those rare towns where a weekend will be etched in your mind like an Alpine bango steering wheel...long after they've taken your driver's license. I hope you can avoid the rainy month (August?), but early or late, l'm there. Maybe in a V6. Or I might just start searching for a Borg Warner 35 automatic overdrive which is probably as easy to find as a T5 flywheel.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
How about Batesville, Indiana?

Nice little company town (great company, though) located halfway between Indianapolis and Cincinnati, which puts it exactly in the middle of nowhere. It does have an excellent facility, the Sherman House. Yes Todd, this is where you and Ann Marie stayed when your clutch went out.

http://www.sherman-house.com/

I can put together the "bones" of an Invasion, no problem. Fleshing it out with goody bags, prizes and awards - well that IS a problem.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I knew that people would like the choice of Batesville, especially the Sherman House.

But for everyone to be struck speechless - WOW!

Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Sorry Bill, I think Sherman House in Batesville is a great idea. Ann Marie and I really enjoyed staying there and still remember those awesome fried biscuits with apple butter.

I wanted to touch base with Paul to see if he was serious about organizing in Nevada as well; but if you're up for it, Indiana would be perfect. (Actually anywhere where we actually have a volunteer to do something is perfect)

Of course having the Invasion committee completely take over, like the South Carolina boys is the ideal, but certainly not the only way. Goody bags, prizes, registrations, awards, stuff like that we can help (or even completely handle) from "the home office". Really he local volunteers need to wrangle the locations, help plan the banquet, scout drives, stuff like that. Although even some of that has been done remotely (I helped Steve with the Nashville Invasion that way).

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
You go Bill!

Indiana, another corn field drive through the middle of nowhere, sounds like fun! No promise we will make it a long drive from Florida in the daily driver but location close to the Alpine Sunbeam World is a perk!

Donna
:D

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I forgot to mention the Batesville area has some great Alpine type roads. Some of the terrain is so unruly there is very little corn.

Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Indiana would be just fine Bill/Todd. Wherever it is located it will be a good drive from sunny South Dakota.

It will be much easier to make things "work" if there are a couple of persons to organize things and share the work load.

How many modified Alpines are close by? This year is the year of the Tiger. Perhaps next year might be the year of the "Modified" Alpine.

Just sayin.........

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Love the idea Bill ------and your humor!

I am presently waiting for two 9" puller fans to mount on the radiator of Ol' Blue.
Double water pump pulley necessitates using two fans rather than a single larger fan.

Running a single 12" puller fan on my other V6. No problems so far.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
How many modified Alpines are close by? This year is the year of the Tiger. Perhaps next year might be the year of the "Modified" Alpine.

Just sayin.........

We need to establish an official 'born on' date. We could use when Jose first dropped a 2.8 into his car and started terrorizing the locals, but my suggestion is when he first started shipping the kit.

Jose?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We need to establish an official 'born on' date. We could use when Jose first dropped a 2.8 into his car and started terrorizing the locals, but my suggestion is when he first started shipping the kit.

Jose?

Obviously I'm not Jose. But really? Does an Alpine have to sport a Ford 2.8 in order to be "Modified"? Everything else is "Personalized"?

Bill