• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Invasion XII Tech Sessions

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
In addition to doing all of the Invasion planning and heavy lifting, Steve Silverstein has agreed to do one tech session on racing Alpines with a presentation on some interesting history of some of his cars.

So we have an opening for the other tech session topic.

Our Alpine is completely disassembled, so I thought we could do a how-to on refurbishing some system, for example rebuilding the steering box, replacing the cross-link bushings, refurbishing the wiper motor or installing a Series V fresh air vent flapper kit (as mine have broken). I can bring any of these parts ("unrestored") for us to go over.

Opinions? Any other tech session topics people would like to see covered?

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
My vote would be for rebuilding/installing the fresh air flappers.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
What about something on front end rebuilding? I could bring a complete SV front end.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
What about something on front end rebuilding? I could bring a complete SV front end.

Jim, rebuilding a front end would have to be discussion only. The job is not technically challenging, just a hard job that requires serious determination, tools and foul language.

Bill

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Would the group be interested in a 1 hr session on Basic electrical concepts tied to typical vintage automobile wiring- battery, starter, alternator, ignition switch, coil, fuses, lights, horn, etc. I see lots of posts where people seem to think the electrical stuff is too complicated to understand. It's really pretty simple. I would be willing to do such a presentation using a set of Powerpoint slides projected on a screen.

Tom Hayden

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Would the group be interested in a 1 hr session on Basic electrical concepts tied to typical vintage automobile wiring- battery, starter, alternator, ignition switch, coil, fuses, lights, horn, etc. I see lots of posts where people seem to think the electrical stuff is too complicated to understand. It's really pretty simple. I would be willing to do such a presentation using a set of Powerpoint slides projected on a screen.

Tom Hayden

Good idea Tom!

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
Electrical systems

I would also be interested in a session on electrical systems.

Randy Z.
Duluth, MN

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
How about something on "how to trace and diagnose a voltage drop"? I have just the car for that one. :D

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's exactly the idea, Jim. First a basics of Volts, Amps, Ohms. Then a simplified Alpine wiring drawing showing how those simple principles apply when tracing a problem thru the car. You're one of the guys I had in mind!

Then we could go test the concepts on your car.

I am 95% sure I am coming to the Invasion. I will be prepared to present, even if it's just one or two guys.

Tom

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hopefully, my car will be sorted before I get there, but we'll see. It has been a hectic summer so far, with very little time spent on the Alpine. A good part of the problem was the weather. It was very hard to get motivated to spend a couple of hours in the garage when the outside temperature was 105 and the humidity around 90%.

I am going to be out of town for another week between now and the Invasion and gone the week before, so I better get moving! The remnants of Hurricane Issac are supposed to start arriving here tomorrow, so I may be able to spend some time in the garage this weekend.