• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Interior light/ switches

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Does anybody have dimensions or can send me some pictures of the exact interior light switch (ground switch) positions located at L/R A- pillars ?

Furthermore I would appreciate a close up photo taken of the interior light cover.

Thanks in advance

napa 1

Donation Time
You bet. I'll snap a photo and do some measurements after work. Bernd, I may have an extra light cover that I can send you to use as a model.

John.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
The dome light topic was well covered but still some points regarding the door light switch remain unanswered:

- Did the HLM have 2 or only 1 ground switche(s) at the driver side ?
- Any clue which other Rootes or British car used the same door switches ?

65beam

Donation Time
interior light switch

my cars have a hole drilled in the sheet metal of the a post area with one switch. these were just standard switches that were in use at that time. if you look at the a post area you should find the drilled hole where the switch mounted. the switch slipped thru the metal and there was a nut on the back. the best type of switch to use now is the one that replaces one of the door hinge screws. much sturdier and no chance of bending the thin sheet metal and eliminates the piece fastened to the door for pushing the switch when closing the door.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
My old HLM has those screw switches. I have seen the switches on Series IV GTs, I think it was. probably on the Series 3s too.
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
light switches

jan,
the switches to replace the hinge screws are the way to go. the original doors on the red car had a bracket fastened to the door to make sure the switch pushed in . the screw type switch is available from victoria british.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
thanks guys ! like the hinge replacement screw idea but think will ultimate prefer the original look. SIV GT makes a lot of sense. Did they use 1 (driver side only) or 2 ?

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
65 beam: If I might ask, Where in the VB catalog can one find the 'screw-type' switch for interior lights?

Thanks,

Ed

65beam

Donation Time
light switch

there was one per door. the VB catalog SUN56, page49,top left, #11 ,part # 12-404@ 13.95 each is where you can order courtesy light switches. i use them on all of my cars.

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Oh, I see now. (these have been available in every Sunbeam catalog - but they don't show screw threads). I am assuming that these are the ones that replace one hinge screw on the door? - Unlike the ones that come with the courtesy light 'kit' shown on page 48 of the same catalog? If so, have you installed a switch to turn on these lights regardless if the door is open or not? If so, I'd like to hear how you did it.

Thanks,

Ed

65beam

Donation Time
light switch

i have bought three sets of their courtesy light sets and they came with switches to replace the door hinge screws. the switch just completes the ground so it should not be hard to wire in a third switch.

napa 1

Donation Time
I have the two orignial switches for my 62 hlm, and I'm not so sure the screw type ones that I have, are meant to replace a hinge screw as they have a flat back rather than a bevel like the hinge screws. My door jamb has an extra hole that fits this screw switch.

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Thank you John, Would you mind telling me where, exactly is that 'extra' hole on your door jamb? Are the holes above or below the hinge and about how far in inches are the holes from the edge of the hinges?

Thanks,

Ed

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi Ed. I'll shoot you pic with the hole, and with the switch in place. What is your email address?

65beam

Donation Time
switches

john,
both of my cars had a nut on the back of the switch. you have to hold them in place.