• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Intake drain valve

twospeed

Donation Time
Hello every one, in rebuilding my cyl head I saw that the little drain valve is all rusted and clogged. Do I realy need this little check ball drain?
Thank you

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello every one, in rebuilding my cyl head I saw that the little drain valve is all rusted and clogged. Do I realy need this little check ball drain?
Thank you

Could you post a picture of the check ball drain assembly and describe how it is routed?

Thanks.

Allan

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
This was covered a few months ago-you may find it by doing a search. As long as it works and drains away from the exhaust, all is well. Otherwise you can remove it and fit a bolt in the hole to seal it up with no bad effects....
Eric

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
A picture of the ball drain mechanism + info on where the drain pipe routed would be helpful though as that info is elusive.

So far a search for the correct factory installation has not been successful.

The manifold drain was an interesting bit of engineering :) .

Wombat

Donation Time
Allan

If I have done this right, the attached pix show the fitting in the manifold where the drain mounts, the mounting hardware on the drain and the drain fitted where it should be. All this is (obviously) off the car. My car is an all synchro SIV. The parts book also lists a Clip (drain pipe to exhaust pipe). There is no picture in the parts book for this clip (and my car doesn't have it)

The parts book also lists a plug (not required if the drain is fitted), but does not specify which cars this relates to. This has probably confused matters further.:confused:

Attachments

• drain1.JPG
    drain1.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 58
  • drain2.JPG
    drain2.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 58
  • drain3JPG.jpg
    drain3JPG.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 46

Wombat

Donation Time
I didn't do it right.:eek: Here is the pic of the hole in the manifold the drain fits into.

Attachments

• drainx.JPG
    drainx.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 68

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Robert - interesting! Thank you.

The drain routes about straight down then...? I had no clue and was thinking it might route back under the chassis somehow and end in a slant as opposed to more verticle.

A clip makes sense too to keep the little drain pipe secure. Maybe a pic of that little guy will turn up.

Thanks again.

Allan

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Intake drain valve.

This a copy of a pic from a 1964 Sales Brochure showing the drain attached to the outer down pipe.

Attachments

• Alpine engine new.jpg
    Alpine engine new.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 63

snamelc

Donation Time
I bought a Series II off the show room floor in 1961 and I do not recall that the intake drain valve was clipped to the exhaust manifold. My current 1962 Series II isn't either and I can see no advantage in doing that. I don't recommend eliminating this valve as it has come in mighty handy when I've had flooding problems due to float valve hang-ups. I've always thought they could have done a better job of routing it away from the hot exhaust but haven't gone so far as to do anything about it. Maybe the exhaust never gets hot enough to ignite it that far from the exhaust ports. Or maybe Billy Rootes figured that sniffing hot vaporized gas would make you do something about the flooding more quickly.

Bill

wframe

Donation Time
I know there has been a lot of discussion about the intake manifold drain, but I have some questions. In the parts book, Plate D - Section A (page 31) it shows the ball valve in a fitting on the bottom end of the drain tube. Is such a fitting available or does the ball valve really belong in the manifold?

Mine looks like the original fitting has been replaced with a fitting that uses an 1/8 inch copper tubing with a compression fitting. (I don't know what the threads that actually go into the manifold are.) I'm guessing this NOT correct? I did check this fitting to verify that there is NO ball in it and that a 1/8 inch ball could NOT get sucked up into the manifold and find its way into the engine. Would it be sufficient to put a new tube in with an 1/8 inch ball, making sure the tube does not seal against the ball?

skywords

Donation Time
If you going to run a drain tube it is imparitive that the ball check be installed. I Fiddle Diddled with my carbs for months trying to eliminate the stumble and finally when I did a starter change and discovered no ball check valve I pluged the hole and it runs great, If anyone knows the soarce for the valves I would like one.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I don't believe it matters what kind of valve is used. The main thing is that the valve opens when there is no vacuum and lets the excess fuel escape, and closes completely when vacuum pulls it shut. If a check ball is used as a valve, obviously it must be large enough to be unable to get sucked into the engine.

Allan

britbits

Donation Time
intake drain

If anyone still needs one of these drain tubes, I have one in stock.
PM me if interested.