• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Insurance Coverage

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
Curious what the group has for collector car coverage, I have had Classic Collectors ( Infinity) for five years covering four cars including the agreed to value payout of my totaled Imp so have no complaints with them. Hagerty just bought them out and comparing coverage between the two companies and three cars is a 40% increase.
Like most insurance, you never want to use it but if needed a company that has a good reputation and coverage is important, especially for agreed to value coverage.

Slainte

Donation Time
I've been happy with the ease of communication with Hagerty. I haven't had to make a claim, but my coverage seems good and premiums are reasonable.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am a retired insurance underwriter. My advice for specialty insurance risks go with carriers that actually specialize in your deal and have a solid time tested track record, not just new and cheap. This is no knock on the mainline carriers who do classic car insurance in anyway but their adjusters deal with moderns day in and day out, not old cars.
I have been with Hagerty since my first Triumph. I have no experience with others so am not commenting on them. Do your research and make your best choice.
(Not sure what my renewal price will be this year but compared to my Subaru that I have with an excellent local company, it is practically free!)
Just my opinion, won't argue if someone likes some other company better but thought I would write how I researched this and made my choice.
I did not know Hagerty had bought a carrier; they were a General Agency before. Good for them. Adds stability to their business.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Been a Hagerty member for years with no complaints and thankfully no claims either!
I did have a roadside flatbed rescue they provided recently when my generator died-and so did my Sunbeam 40 miles from the nearest town. In 45 minutes they arrived to pick myself and my car up to take us both home. Incredible service!
The car magazine they also send out every two months is excellent.

65beam

Donation Time
Five Sunbeams insured with Hagerty and very happy with the coverage and service. Road service available which covers all your cars , not just the Sunbeams and they offer coverage for spare parts, etc. As Eric mentioned, they use tow companies with roll backs and not wheel lift tow trucks.We have an advantage here in Ohio because our agent is a long term Tiger owner. He writes policies in Kentucky and Indiana also. I like the fact that every additional car cost less for coverage. Hagerty now gives TE/AE members a 5% discount on their premiums.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Not to be redundant but Hagerty.

I did call in a claim. No problems
I also appreciate the support they give back to the hobby

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Any car club gets a discount with most carriers. Most also charge different rates if you buy from an agent or if you buy direct. What you get if you have an agent is a buffer between you and the company plus a potential to go after him on an E and O claim . Haggerty was more expensive than the other carriers I shopped BUT the BS has been less, plus the CSR splained an exact underwriting line tween Modified and Stock. They obviously make more money selling you a more expensive modified policy, especially if your car has substantially more horsepower than it did when it was stock, vs period mods.
Yeah I know how to buy it because I know how to sell it.
The first thing that should be looked at is to the exclusions fit you or not because remember the big print giveth and the small print taketh away.

65beam

Donation Time
Different states, different insurance rules. With company warehouses in more than one state I found a lot of things were different from state to state

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just to be clear Haggerty in California uses an ISO boiler plate, what that means is insurance services organization. They write a bunch of boilerplate that is used in many states. What was important to me was I didn't have to take a bunch of pictures prove up the agreed value on the cars. Several of the other cheaper carriers wanted pictures appraisals any number of things that I just wasn't ready to do. What was important to me was that they answered my questions as someone who was a licensed agent for 22 years questions in the right way. I had a stated value policy on AAA but I could not add the garage find after thirty days after acquisition and that the contract would have forced them to add until the renewal.
Yes, I was comfortable with a level of self insuring the facts that they may try to depreciate my 7 year old tires as the price was like 275.00 in So. CA. and 100/300/100 matching UM 250 deductible under 2000 miles per year and 45,000 on the car. I have had a couple of total theft losses on a similar Farmers stated value losses and no problem for my clients as an agent. I told them I worked for them and held to that. Lately AAA did my personal play car and was too stupid and refused the MK2 at the same level as they could not appreciate the original paint and garage find flavor. I remember the CSR agent's look on her face and saying the other car is much prettier... as she said her underwriter could not cover the car. I almost told her Beauty is often more than skin deep but stupid goes clear to the bone.

Sometimes you pay for service even cheapskates that sold the same product thru J.C. Taylor. Now a big concern is the adjuster they use in house or a outside one, but both are skilled in making sure the contract helps their client or employer to the letter. By the way you are the claimant and not the client.....

Now the disclaimer,this is opinion only and reflections from my time in the business. IDC what you buy or from whom just read and understand and work out the grey matter like you would your car push it a little hard once in a while to clean out the carbon ;)

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Just to be clear Haggerty in California uses an ISO boiler plate, what that means is insurance services organization. They write a bunch of boilerplate that is used in many states. What was important to me was I didn't have to take a bunch of pictures prove up the agreed value on the cars. Several of the other cheaper carriers wanted pictures appraisals any number of things that I just wasn't ready to do. What was important to me was that they answered my questions as someone who was a licensed agent for 22 years questions in the right way. I had a stated value policy on AAA but I could not add the garage find after thirty days after acquisition and that the contract would have forced them to add until the renewal.
Yes, I was comfortable with a level of self insuring the facts that they may try to depreciate my 7 year old tires as the price was like 275.00 in So. CA. and 100/300/100 matching UM 250 deductible under 2000 miles per year and 45,000 on the car. I have had a couple of total theft losses on a similar Farmers stated value losses and no problem for my clients as an agent. I told them I worked for them and held to that. Lately AAA did my personal play car and was too stupid and refused the MK2 at the same level as they could not appreciate the original paint and garage find flavor. I remember the CSR agent's look on her face and saying the other car is much prettier... as she said her underwriter could not cover the car. I almost told her Beauty is often more than skin deep but stupid goes clear to the bone.

Sometimes you pay for service even cheapskates that sold the same product thru J.C. Taylor. Now a big concern is the adjuster they use in house or a outside one, but both are skilled in making sure the contract helps their client or employer to the letter. By the way you are the claimant and not the client.....

Now the disclaimer,this is opinion only and reflections from my time in the business. IDC what you buy or from whom just read and understand and work out the grey matter like you would your car push it a little hard once in a while to clean out the carbon ;)
My Hagerty agent does ask for photos simply because several of my Alpines and Harringtons carry a high set value. With my last restoration the photos showed what we started with and as work progressed we submitted photos in order to continue the increase in value. This procedure was carried out on the last four restorations of Beams in my garage. All of my Beams have high set values. For whatever reason Farmers has little or no presence here and AAA is pretty limited to travel plans and flight tickets. I did insure thru J.C.Taylor back in the early 90's and the policy was thru Zurich. I had claims on four cars at the same time due to damage as a result of storms and we had problems. I don't have deductables with my policy thru Hagerty. There have been several Sunbeams in this area that suffered collision damage and are insured by Hagerty. The repairs were carried out with no glitches. Yes, It is a matter of what you're comfortable with and what you're willing to pay. Uninsured motorist coverage is required in Ohio.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Uninsured motorist coverages in Florida does nothing for property damage. It only provides coverage for your injuries and those of passengers in you car when the at fault driver is uninsured or underinsured. It also pays for other thing as a result of injury, such as medical equipment and modifications to the home needed as a result.