• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Instant Harrington hardtop ?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pretty tough job - the GT6 is a narrower car than the Alpine.

And even if it weren't, I think it would look pretty rancid, IMHO.

Limey

Donation Time
''Could one graft the roof and hatch of a Triumph GT6 to a Sunbeam and create a imitation Harrington? Would that be stupid or innovative?''

Gawd help us, the very thought sends shivers... You must be Doctor Franken'pine....

foghorn14

Donation Time
Rancid idea

Okay it was a bad idea. But Limey outbid me on the Ashley and I thought the hatchback was a neat idea. The GT6 was a fallback idea trying to get as close to the Ashley as possible.

Limey how about you taking your new purchase and making a mold of it to fabricate duplicates?

I'm just day-dreaming, shipping to the US would likely be a killer.

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Foghorn,

Funny you should say that. Next week a fiberglass mold maker is coming over to take a look and give me an estimate for the repair to the boot area and discuss if it is viable or not to remake these tops. Trouble is there won't be much demand in the UK and shipping oversaeas would be expensive.

Best regards

Oliver

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Oliver if you can get them made, I know a way to get them here. Keep us posted. Eric

Limey

Donation Time
Sounds interesting. Technically its not difficult to remake the GRP element I suppose. The rear glass might be tricky but maybe if its the same as the other Alpine Ashley hard top someone may know a source. Remaking curved glass for this value item can't be feasable can it?. The window latches clould me replaced with a mini item or similar and the lid hinge would be hard to impossible to copy exactly but should be OK to design and source a similar device.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Does the fastback style top give better top speed, from a racing standpoint? (I've read that eliminating the hooded headlight rims is good for 1 or 2 mph.) In vintage racing classes, does an accessory like a fastback hardtop need to have been available in the 60s in order to be used?

If it just needs to 'look like' the authentic item, you might be able to make an appropriate mold and "melt" one out of lexan, then paint it everywhere you don't want a window or sunroof. Not terribly practical for getting groceries, but it would probably be lighter than the trunk lid.

Ken

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sounds interesting. Technically its not difficult to remake the GRP element I suppose. The rear glass might be tricky but maybe if its the same as the other Alpine Ashley hard top someone may know a source. Remaking curved glass for this value item can't be feasable can it?. The window latches clould me replaced with a mini item or similar and the lid hinge would be hard to impossible to copy exactly but should be OK to design and source a similar device.

We are just now looking into a reproduction of the curved tailgate glass for the Harrington LeMans. It is definitely possible as long as you could borrow a sample and ideally the surround as fitment pattern...

Limey

Donation Time
How much will that be and for how many units?

The demand for the Ashley top will be tiny so I suppose a Perspex unit makes better sense if doing a repro.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
We are just intending a small Qty run say around 5-10 pcs and are right now discussing with a potential supplier. But to early to disclose more details. Will keep you updated...

Limey

Donation Time
PM me when you know more. I would be interested in the process, pitfalls and costs.

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
Does the fastback style top give better top speed, from a racing standpoint? (I've read that eliminating the hooded headlight rims is good for 1 or 2 mph.) In vintage racing classes, does an accessory like a fastback hardtop need to have been available in the 60s in order to be used?

If it just needs to 'look like' the authentic item, you might be able to make an appropriate mold and "melt" one out of lexan, then paint it everywhere you don't want a window or sunroof. Not terribly practical for getting groceries, but it would probably be lighter than the trunk lid.

Ken

Ken,

i thin you would find that to run in a historic class you would need to have things a little more correct than just the outline. Also, the top speed vs weight issue would come into play on an alpine. A factory hardtop is likely to be just as effective, the LM cars in 61 proved that. The harrington bodied car with fastback roof, faired in lights and undertray was SLOWEr than the standard body car with hardtop!

As for the non-peaked rims being worth 1-2mph.. its probably true but im guessing you are having to go much quicker than an alpine is capable of or it to make a difference.. think about the mulsane straight back in the 60's.. and faired in lights didnt help.

Laud Rootes

Donation Time
Hardtop Eligibility

"My next project is a racing Series II Alpine and I plan to put this lid on as they did back in the day"

Many apologies Oliver, but I was the under-bidder on the auction and then my bloomin computer froze at the death! By the time it had cleared the auction was over! Doh!
If you're planning on racing in FIA type events, then the Ashley Hardtop will not be eligible unfortunately, as it was neither a period homologated part nor was it used in any period FIA-sanctioned event. As a result the original works aluminium hardtop has to be used (unless you have a Harrington ofcourse, which did run in period FIA-sanctioned events such as the Sebring 12 Hours).
Incidentally, I have a copy of the period homologation papers for the Series 2 if you would like a copy. No webers either I'm afraid, Zeniths only!

Best Wishes,
Laud Rootes

Limey

Donation Time
Lid of joy

Hi Laud,

What were your plans for the top? i had a Max bid of £1000 on it. Would you have gone there?:eek:

Many thanks for the info. I have 3 more years on the concours resto before starting on the racer so research is only at the very earliest stage. Effectively (as is obvious) I know a fraction more than nothing.

Indeed, I may not use the top in the end especially if as you say it is ineligible. Probably OK for 'Rallying' But that's not my cup-o-tea as I could just as easy prep it for later use on the Resto or my daily driver Series II.

I have 5 early series hard tops to choose from for the racer so no probs there.

However the good bit is that I am open to all information from any source so please send over all you have and any useful links as right now I have yet to take the first steps.

Many thanks

Oliver