• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Installing wires

snamelc

Donation Time
I have a 1962 Series II with steel wheels. I have a set of stock wire wheel hubs from a Series II that I would like to install. How do I go about it and what else do I need?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The front hubs bolt on just like the hubs that you have on there now. They're pretty easy to do, just have to transfer the brake rotor to the wire hub.

The rears are another story. You need a pretty heavy duty hub puller to get them off. You have to loosen the nut, but not take it all the way off, bolt the hub puller on and tighten until the hub pops (and it will "pop" fairly loudly!)
I've even had them be so stubborn that I had to take the axle out & put it in a bench vise to hold it so I could get enough leverage to get it off. Just be persistent and it will eventually come off. Once they're off, the new ones just bolt on. Make sure you have a good nut that'll take enough torque so it won't loosen up on you. You might even want to use some locite on it for safe keeping.

One more note, make sure that your hubs are good so that you're not doing all this work to put old worn hubs on your car. New hubs aren't the cheapest thing going, but they're cheap insurance for your safety.

Hope this helps!
Cheers!
Steve

mikephillips

Donation Time
Hold the hubs up to your eyes and look along the length of the splines. From the end they should look like a pyramid shape with both sides of equal length and slope towards the top. The top should not be pointed but squared off. If the splines point in one direction or come to a sharp point then they shouldn't be used, particularly if you're using new wheels.