• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Initial Startup of New Numbers Matching Le Mans engine

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just posted videos.

Initial adjustments at start up:
Note: my red towel "throttle adjuster" needed to be move because of burning as it rested against the exhaust.

Sweet sound of exhaust:

Temperature readings during break-in:

This is with the high flow head and the newly designed 4 into 1 header.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jerry... progress! Need to have a catch-up call about the results and other ongoing work you are doing.

I'm back home for a visit finally after 3.5 years....and finally got back in a Sunbeam!

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
The photo below shows the before and after engine break-in oil.
1699732701424.jpeg

Obviously the need is to remove all machine work residuals. In particular, metal particles throughout the engine.

alpine_64

Donation Time
How long did you run the break-in?
Did you have a lot of assembly lube in the motor?
Amazing to see the change in colour and transparency... Also why you do a few fast oil changes after a build

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
25 minute run. I don't know what "a lot' might be, but, there was definitely assembly lube used. Next step I will do a dyno. I will take my machinist's advice after that. I figure run under load for 300-500 miles to seat the rings and then change oil again.
I'm assembling the components for the #41 (a bolder build) Sebring engine. Then same procedure as above.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, WOW! that oil is DARK!

Could it be the cam chain tentioner died a Horrible death?

...the only thing I can think of that may change the oil color.

I have not seen oil change color so quickly.

And, it sounds like a lot of valve train noise in the first and 3rd videos.

DW

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I noticed the engine sound to be different than any of my other Sunbeams. I attribute that to the significantly higher flow rate head. And the significantly different pitch of the 4 into 1 exhaust header I designed. I'm going to take the oil samples to my machinist and get his opinion.

Follow-up:
Took oil to my machinist today and he said, "it looks normal." He asked, "did you cut the filter open." I replied, "the filter is a canister and I didn't see anything unusual." He suggested I recheck the lash settings.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jerry, after just returning from the UK NEC really good to see your progress. Regarding the run- in oil contamination, I'ld be a bit concerned however. Looks as if your machine shop lacks a bit of cleanliness...

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
and it is cheap. Worried about one of my turbo 911 s. 30USD for piece of mind especially when time to sell.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow!
Everyone has an opinion. I have the second engine (I'm putting together as I write) to compare internal cleanliness. Other than the moly lube it is very clean inside and I'm not worried gents. I'm expecting the next run to provide a cleaner looking oil once the rings are seated. If the rings are not seated there will be dirty exhaust mixing with the oil.
1700087782945.jpeg

I have done oil (Super dirty looking oil) analysis for my (9) diesel tanker trucks used in Wildland Fire fighting (a dirty smoke filled environment). The report is interesting and fortunately it never showed anything alarming.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Wow!
Everyone has an opinion. I have the second engine (I'm putting together as I write) to compare internal cleanliness. Other than the moly lube it is very clean inside and I'm not worried gents. I'm expecting the next run to provide a cleaner looking oil once the rings are seated. If the rings are not seated there will be dirty exhaust mixing with the oil.
View attachment 30295

I have done oil (Super dirty looking oil) analysis for my (9) diesel tanker trucks used in Wildland Fire fighting (a dirty smoke filled environment). The report is interesting and fortunately it never showed anything alarming.
Jerry is this the sebring motor block in the photo?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Oh, that's right, moly lube is dark. I ran out of moly lube about 20 years ago

and been using other stuff that doesn't color the oil...

DW