• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Inhibitor Switch function

howard

Donation Time
What does the inhibitor switch do? I ask because I had my engine and tranny out and was told the "drag" preventing the engine from turning was coming from the transmission. I wondered if the inhibitor switch might be the culprit, but if it PREVENTS the starter from firing up, then that's not it. Any clarification about what the switch does would be enlightening.

nickraymond

Donation Time
What does the inhibitor switch do? I ask because I had my engine and tranny out and was told the "drag" preventing the engine from turning was coming from the transmission. I wondered if the inhibitor switch might be the culprit, but if it PREVENTS the starter from firing up, then that's not it. Any clarification about what the switch does would be enlightening.

I'm assuming you have an automatic?
It stops the car starting in drive, and throwing forward off a cliff when you turn the key etc etc.
It also works the reversing lights on the other two terminals.

It should have no effect once the car is running. It's simply a on/off switch in there.

Nick

howard

Donation Time
It's an automatic, alright, but it's the getting the car running that's a mystery. I was hoping something simple like the inhibitor switch was keeping the engine from spinning. Apparently, it's the transmission.:(