• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Info sharing

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I really don't mind passing on information about my cars.You all know I'm only to happy to pass on my inovations especially in modifications.I just love coming up with stuff.This is so true as when some people say it can't be done and I go ahead and do it.
Now comes the whiney part.
When I so freely pass on information I do think I should at least get a thank you.Would you not agree?
I do grant there are some of you who truly make sure you thank me and that I do indeed appreciate.
Maybe I should just keep it all and not share.That would be a sad day indeed if I was to go that direction.This then would be defeating the purpose of this forum which I enjoy being part of.

O

odl21

I aggee. What didn't you get thanked for? Sunbeam owners are not the greatest forum users to say the least. Even this forum is pretty empty compared to forums for other interests I have. Other sunbeam forums are far worse though...

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Chuck,

If you were to keep all the information to yourself, you would be like me, feel guilty about not helping someone else. Some folks just weren't taught to say thank you. I have a cousin that has come to live here with us, who doesn't say please or thank you. She was a teacher for 47 years, and still gives orders as if she were still talking to her 7 year old students. I just have to grin and bear it.

Even if someone doesn't say thank you, just think of all the other guys on this board, that are appreciative of what you share. In this life, you will always run into those kind of guys. Just know that your opinion and advice is appreciated here.

Jose :)

Nickodell

Donation Time
Chuck: I've posted the same complaint/question/comment in the old forum. By now, after being on this planet for more than 2/3 of a century I should be used to ingratitude, and immune to it, but I'm not. Can't count the number of times I've passed-on hard-earned experience about our beloved Alpines in answer to someone's plaintive cry for help, and never had the courtesy of a thanks. Even "I tried it and it didn't work" would be better than nothing at all.

Out of interest, I've PM'd three or four of these over the years. One ignored the message, but the others said "yeah, it worked. Thanks" or words to that effect. Makes you wonder why they didn't post or PM it without being prompted.

Rick: why do you have to grin and bear it? A wise man once said that nobody can take advantage of you more than you allow them to.

Having said that; some people just don't see it our way. I was taught, as soon as I could scrawl a few words in crayon, that the same day that I received a birthday or Xmas present I was to write a "thank you" (we didn't have a phone in those days - few private homes in Britain did). I have two grand-neices, and until a year ago regularly sent them birthday gifts. Finally, after eight years of never having received a thank you letter or even phone call, I discontinued the practice. The mother, my neice, was on the phone the next week asking if I'd forgotten their birthdays. When I explained why I'd stopped sending presents she was most indignant.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've had people I work with ask for help using phrases like "it worked before, what did YOU do". And of course few thanks for working weekends or nights when they forget to notify me something's going into the production system. So I guess I've gotten used to it.....

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have two grand-nieces, and until a year ago regularly sent them birthday gifts. Finally, after eight years of never having received a thank you letter or even phone call, I discontinued the practice. The mother, my niece, was on the phone the next week asking if I'd forgotten their birthdays. When I explained why I'd stopped sending presents she was most indignant.

Wow!.......................

WOW!!!!

:eek:

WOW!

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
indignant

indignation >noun annoyance provoked by what is perceived as unfair treatment.
-DERIVATIVES indignant >adjective indignantly >adverb.
-ORIGIN Latin, from indignari 'regard as unworthy'.

Just in case any of you needed the meaning of this word. I did.....so I looked it up.

Paul ;)

napa 1

Donation Time
Thanks

I've said this many times before but I'll take this opportunity to say it again since the subject has come up. Thanks for all of the help I've received from the forum. It has made all the difference in getting my car on the road. I absolutely could not have made the progress I have made without the kind assistance of the forum members. Each time I have posed a question, several members have offered advise and encouragement, and have even gone to the trouble of spending time with me on the phone, Ian, Bill , Andy, Wayne. I also wanted to publicly thank Wayne (fastback) for calling me out of the blue last month to talk me through an issue with the car, and helping me find obscure parts. Thanks Wayne. Many many thanks to all.

Looks like I'll be continuing to ask questions as I just purchased a series II, for the start of another project. :eek:

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'd also like to get on the "thanks I never would have done it without your help" band wagon. I TRY to remember to at least acknowledge information I've asked for but, sometimes ............I may not. So.....THANKS to all who have made my dream of Alpine ownership an experience, and an experience it's been ...........so far... now if I could only get this Series V on the road it'd be all worthwhile.....

Still two months 'till Columbia car show....I got lots of time...... When is next years invasion??:D

Tom J

Nickodell

Donation Time
Paul: you seem to be trying to make a point, but for the life of me I can't make it out. I'm surprised if you had to look up indignant, as it's a word in common parlance :) Are you implying that my use of such a bon mot should subject me to opprobrium?

Surely not! If I'd wanted to be pedantic I could have used "riled," "incensed," "irked" or "piqued."

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Let me also publicly say THANK YOU to EVERYONE. I try to say "thanks" as I go along but sometimes probably don't.

I could not be this far along without this forum.

I am especially thankful to Bill Blue for steering me here from the Alpine listserver, and to Mark (Volvoguys) for both parts and advice.

I'm at the start of the learning curve, and will share info as I continue to trace and resolve S IV fuel and fire issues.

Thanks!

Allan

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nick,
I don't know what the heck you just said!! :D You are a man of vast vocabulary, and that's a good thing. I thought I knew the meaning of the word but it peaked my interest to look it up. If "I" wanted to look it up, someone else MUST have been thinking the same thing. After all, just a bunch of wrench turners here.

Not trying to make a point. Surely I'm not "pedantic" as you wrote the word! I just like to know what I'm reading. And surely if I was "piqued" at not knowing the word I would have stayed quiet.

I still can't believe your nieces mothers reaction! :eek:

Paul
"Still violently forcing ground bovine flesh to do acrobatics over hot horizontal manganese†:p

Paul: you seem to be trying to make a point, but for the life of me I can't make it out. I'm surprised if you had to look up indignant, as it's a word in common parlance :) Are you implying that my use of such a bon mot should subject me to opprobrium?

Surely not! If I'd wanted to be pedantic I could have used "riled," "incensed," "irked" or "piqued."