• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Incredible pricing!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've recently had several done for $40.00 each. Beautiful work!

Good stock to re-chrome is better than throwing away and buying "new" stuff if at all possible.

65beam

Donation Time
pricing

todd,
a few years back I saw a restoration of a tiger go past 100K. the rough estimate to finish the body work on our Harrington was a minimum of 16 K plus materials. gel coat for the fiberglass top would be one item in the materials list. we had over 1800 in paint alone not counting the epoxy primer and the other primers for the series 4. it's not cheap to restore a car.

Last edited:

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree Bob, The yellow Alpine I just finished has ???? in it. To ashamed to say! But it took several twenties to get it finished. I spent more on re-chroming parts and polishing stainless than most cars sell for. But what is going on with these parts selling for this much is just crazy!

JonPiz

Donation Time
Incredible pricing

I think something doesnt seem right about these auctions. Do we know who actually bought the bits:confused:

alpine_64

Donation Time
The headlight rims seemed about right.. have seen them in that range several times over the years, the dash lights group.. that was a surprise.. especially given the same seller sold a NOS S3 and SIv O/D warning light and they went quite low.. same with a S1-3 "fog" switch and escutcheon...

Where i got a shock.. and by that i mean suspicious... was the firewall throttle grommet.. $136 Sunbeam Specialties sells a correct repro.. for a few $.. that just didn't stack up yo me... and ebay now hides the bidder ID's and feedback ones...

65beam

Donation Time
pricing

those of you that don't live here in the states probably wouldn't know jim. he's a long time sunbeam owner that was active on the east coast forever and has been selling parts on e bay for many years. look at his feed back. 2330!! I have bought a few of the items myself. there are some tiger owners out there that jump on buying NOS items for their restorations. when was the last time you saw some of these items up for sale? i sold one item fecently for three times the price that i paid SS for it. look at what i sold a used item for this week. these auctions are real. jim and i had this conversation yesterday. he's amazed also but is taking their money. why wouldn't he?

JonPiz

Donation Time
Incredible pricing

Good luck to him then. Im going to see what I can buy here in the UK and then sell it on ebay USA. Theres gold in them there hills!!!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
To me, nothing says more about the differences between pure Alpine and Alpine/Tiger parts pricing than this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301017495132?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649. $100 for an NOS set of SII door finishers! I watch eBay pretty religiously and don't recall ever seeing an NOS set before. Hell, you hardly ever see rattty unbroken ones. I can't imagine what these would have gone for it they'd fit Tigers. And, if they were unique to Mk2 Tigers instead of SII Alpines, I wouldn't have been surprised if they went for about as much as a decent Alpine.

65beam

Donation Time
pricing

weren't the repro hockey sticks made of aluminum? I don't think they're available now.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Did some re-remanufacturer these?

They were repro'ed a few years back in both black and chrome and were metal. Bill Atalla sold an unused set of these recently and IIRC they went for more than these NOS ones.... go figure?

I think they were a very good buy.. I paid almost that for a used set about 5 years back that weren't broken but the bakerite had gone the usual brown.

Jim is right regarding alpine specific vs tiger specific bits...

JonPiz

Donation Time
Incredible pricing again

What doo you reckon this would obtain. I have an original brand new never fitted Smiths clock, negative earth in full working order.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 18

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
You would do well to research the application of this clock to determine which car(s) it was for. Unfortunately, is was not used in any Series Alpine or Tiger.

Mark ..... volvoguys

JonPiz

Donation Time
Incredible pricing

I will look into the application as it may be worth more to another marque. I wonder how many Alpine owners (except the purists) have the original clock. Many were ruined when they converted their cars from positive earth to negative earth without disconnecting the clock first!! My car has a Smiths clock from a Wolseley 1660 with a tan colored face. Goes lovely with the non-original walnut dash.

Volvoguys, if I find a brand new negative earth original Alpine clock, you will be the first to find out, but there could be some chilly weather in hell before that happens;)