• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

In Titusville, Florida

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
My wife and I are in Titusville, across the Indian River from the Vehicle Assembly Building and pad 39A at the Kennedy Space Center to watch the shuttle go up. It's been delayed twice, due to a leak, but will hopefully go up Wdnesday afternoon. We can see the pad from the campground. I've always wanted to see it live, and only being 2 hours away, can't believe we've not done it before now. This should be pretty cool.

Gitsmart

Donation Time
I'll be in Titusville Nov 20th for a few days and was curious when a launch was scheduled, now I know, :(

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
when it goes off, prepare to be awe-struck, then wait for the rumble and shake. It's pretty amazing.

Enjoy, Tom j

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks like we'll have to wait. It's been delayed another 24 hours. Had planned to be back to work today. This is the third delay.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well after a week off and using up nearly all of my vacation time, NO LAUNCH.:mad:

Nice vacation though. It was the first time in many many years that we went some where in the RV that wasn't for a family visit or some kind of event related. No plans, no place to be, no schedule.
Good time, except for the black eye. I was getting some tools out from the under coach compartment while helping the guy on the next site fix his mangled mud flap after a rear tire blowout. I got the tools, stood up, turned and started walking all at the same time when I walked right into the awning support. About knocked myself out.:eek:

Earliest launch date is now 30 Nov. This place is fully booked for the Feb 2011 launch, snowbirds mainly.
An additional launch is scheduled for some time in June 2011, but yet to be funded. Maybe I can see one go up then

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
That's too bad it didn't launch while you were there. Those shuttles aren't the most reliable are they?

Tom j

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Maybe as luck would have it, they will delay the launch until the afternoon of the 24th thru the the 28th, we plan on being in Cocoa Beach during that time. OH come on Please, Please delay it till then...:rolleyes:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
My wife is pretty smart

Nasa announced the next launch attempt will be early morning, 4:05 AM on 30 Nov. Being disappointed that we didn't get to see the launch, my wife reminded me that we would be in Daytona for the Turkey Rod Run that weekend. She added that we could extend our stay in Daytona, and that I could drive to work in St Augustine on Monday, 29 Nov. After work I would drive back to Daytona, leave the RV park and head back to Titusville, spend the night and hopefully see the pre-dawn launch. Then drive the RV to work Tuesday morning after launch. She telecommutes, so she can work from the RV.

Good deal, a car show and shuttle launch.
She's pretty smart.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
After months of delay

Well, back in Titusville. After months of delay, finally saw Shuttle Discovery go up. A bit underwhelming though, except for the a bit of excitement when the Range Safety Officer reported No-Go just prior to resuming the count at T -9:00. (They had just shy of 2 minutes left in the launch window, when their system problem was resolved.) After all the hype of a live launch, I was ready for the ground shaking rumble and roar of the shuttle launch just across the river as well as the spectacle of it rising skyward. But as luck would have it a strong sea breeze blowing up the river brought in clouds just over the space center, providing only a short view of the launch (I've had better viewing of it, after launch, at home 3 hours north) and carrying much of the sound away with it. But site of it leaving the pad was impressive. Maybe I can get down here for the June Launch.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
June launch? It was reported here in UK that this was the final Mission. Is this incorrect?

Tony, that is partially correct. It was the final mission that particular shuttle craft ("Discovery"), but there are two other shuttle crafts which have yet to be sent on their own final missions. After that, the shuttle programme as we know it ends and the fleet will either be scrapped or move to museums that have the room and money to acquire one.

The last two STS (Space Transportation System - aka "Space Shuttle Orbiter") missions are:

Date: April 19 +
Mission: STS-134
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Endeavour
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 7:48 p.m. EDT
STS-134 Description: Space shuttle Endeavour will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier-3 (ELC-3) and the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) to the International Space Station.

Date: June 28 +
Mission: STS-135
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Atlantis
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 3:48 p.m. EDT +
Description: Space shuttle Atlantis will carry the Raffaello multipurpose logistics module to deliver supplies, logistics and spare parts to the International Space Station. Atlantis also will fly a system to investigate the potential for robotically refueling existing spacecraft and return a failed ammonia pump module.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
This was the 39th and final mission of Discovery. Discovery has the most flights of all the shuttles. It was the first to fly after both the Challenger and Columbia mishaps. It is also the shuttle that carried the Hubble telescope to orbit.

Endeavour's launch is scheduled for April 19th, pushed back due to Discovery's delay.

Atlantis's launch is scheduled for June 28, and is the slated to be the last flight of the shuttle program.

Nickodell

Donation Time
This is the last one for Discovery. I believe that there are two more launches scheduled for the other shuttles.

Call me a Luddite, but I wish they would quit before there is another tragedy. Although it has been a magnificent, if flawed, achievement, like the Concorde, someone called this kind of thing technological masturbation - i.e We Did It Because We Could.

40% of the shuttle fleet has been lost in spectacular accidents, and - other than the one outstanding achievement with the Hubble space telescope - the original idea, that the shuttle would be a kind of monthly delivery truck, taking stuff up to build a jumping-off station for Mars, was scrapped long ago. What we ended up with was a vehicle going up to the space station once or twice a year, with everyone holding their breath that it would return safely, conducting what turned out to be usless "zero-gravity" experiments on plants and worms, and others of doubtful practical use, and the station itself reduced essentially to somewhere for the shuttle to go.

I am probably in the minority here, but the many billions spent could have been used on at least a 20th-century railroad system, cleaning up the crime-infested slums, or something productive and useful to all. Maybe reducing the deficit.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
What the shuttle "program" has shown is that Government is totally incapable of utilizing technology available since the "60's to open a new frontier of resourses and energy. Who except Government could take the concept of a "space truck" and turn it into an El Camino. Sooner or later, we will run out of resourses, , sooner or later population is gonna be too big. Too many people vying for limited resourses. Sooner or later something is gonna set this Technic civilization back to an earlier period of development. The only place to assure the continued existance of "us", the human civilization, will be space. We need to take the brakes off of private space development and get rid of stupid ideas like, 90% of profits, from space development, goes to "the betterment of all mankind"...meaning the leaches @ the U.N.
The death of the shuttle program could be the beginning of private development of space...or it could be the end of a dream. The resourses and technologies are available NOW, I wonder how long they will remain available, especially if we waste resourses on cultures that refuse to wean themselves of primative tribalism.
I have no children. The universe, for me, ends when I die...I worry for your children.
The spirit of Senator Proxmire is alive and well.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, with all that said, I've secured my reservations for the June 28 launch of Atlantis. The last shuttle mission. Hopefully the weather will be more cooperative for a better experience. And I learned another thing from Discovery's launch. Don't try to record it. Sent most of the time watching the LCD screen instead of the actual launch.:(

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Shot with a Kodak Play>Sport Zx3 video camera through one side of my binoculars. This is frame after the video was converted to a flash file.