• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

IMP and Friends In Retro Cars Magazine...

66Tiger

Donation Time
I picked up an English car magazine called "retro cars" with a red Imp on the cover with a 200hp Ford RS Turbo motor. Nice long article and a big centerfold picture. I would love to get an Imp someday.

And they have an article in there about 70s Rootes vehicles. Cars like Avenger Tigers and Talbot Sunbeams are mentioned.

I haven't read the article yet, but the pictures look good.

There is a website... http://www.ew1.com/mghrc.html ...that mentions them. They stopped publishing for a while but appear to be back.

And a cover shot can be found here... http://www.retrocarsmag.com/

Paul

SDuncan

Donation Time
I used to buy that magazine all the time. I am glad to hear it is back in business. I have several issues with Imp articles and have likely re-read then 100 times since I bought my Imp.

The biggest problem I see with a lot of the Imp conversions is the increase in weight. The Imp engine and gearbox weighs something like 175lbs. Most conversions weigh considerably more than that. The extra power is nice, but the extra weight out behind the rear axle can be scary. My Imp has a 875cc engine with a sport head, cam and Weber carb, and while it is no dragster, it has some pep and it handles like a go-kart. I plan to refresh the suspension over the winter (bushings, shocks, springs, tie rods, etc) and it should be even better after.

SDuncan

Donation Time
That is a better way of doing the conversion, except that it changes the car. Personally, I like the motorcycle-power conversions. Lots of power, relatively light weight, tons of parts around. If I have another Imp, I might consider doing one.....Gee, I wish I had a bigger garage.