• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

If this is truly rust free...

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Jeff,

In the U. S. our turn signals are almost always on the left side. When I saw the stem on the right, I assumed it was the OD switch. I should have looked at the other pictures more closely. Does anyone know if any Alpines came to the U.S. from the factory with the turn signal stem on the right?

Mike

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
All Alpine turn signal switches I've seen are on the right. Also all electrical switches are up for off down for on.
The Brits are backwards, they even drive on the left side of the road. Or is it us?

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
My 62' has OD and the turn signal switch is on the right, OD left .... on my 67' ..the signal switch is on the left as was my other 67' .. ???? ... It must have something to do wit' the metric system:D

...... David

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The right side turn signal was used for a few years in cars with O.D. But not all cars with O.D. My early Series II O.D. car had signal on the left. Later cars has signals on the right. Do not know if that continued to the end of production.

Bill

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Hi Bill .... I'm use'to turn signal switches on the left .. American cars .... These little cars are a "Quagmire" .. maybe no sense was the Sense? .....

......... David

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Bill .... I'm use'to turn signal switches on the left .. American cars .... These little cars are a "Quagmire" .. maybe no sense was the Sense? .....

......... David

I think it had something to do with overdrive users complaining that they could not shift gears and overdrive at the same time. So the factory put the O.D. switch on the left and so the the overdrive crowd could shift gears AND overdrive at the same time and had a reason to drive with no hands on the wheel. (Just kidding)

Personally, I saw no real benefit in split shifting. The power band was wide enough it made little difference which gear you were in. A road that I often drove had a steep hill with a stop sign at the bottom. I made a game out of seeing how fast I could be going as I topped the hill. Answer: 45 mph. Shift points had no impact at all as long as I drove at wide open throttle and did not shift until at least 4500 rpm. But I suppose that is not the "proper" way to drive a sporting car.

Bill