• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Identifying ignition key code?

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
Greetings all- Newbie here. My sole ignition key for a ‘67 SV Alpine is a Lucas 92204 key; those numbers are stamped on the key. There is nothing stamped on the bezel of the ignition plate on the dash itself. I would like to get a spare, but all the forum posts I can find and even the Triple-C web site refer to key codes and prefixes like FS, RM, FT, etc. How do I identify what kind of key I have? None of the key blanks on Triple-C today look like mine. Many thanks.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are some typical keys found with Sunbeams. The ones with the shape on the right are more common these days. BTW, ...sorry for the delay :)

P1060311.JPG

Last edited:

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, SPMDR. However, my key is not really like any of the ones in your photo. It’s closest to the one in the upper right corner, but my key is completely flat across the top (i.e. not gabled), & my key has two longitudinal grooves instead of only one.

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
A-ha! I think I’ve figured this out. I believe that my car must have had a replacement Lucas ignition switch barrel installed by a PO (Lucas #5436731). I’ve now found images online of the same little square key I have with similar 5-digit numbers engraved on them.